Bylaw revision presentation postponed and senate bill passed to record dates of revisions

David Jenkins
Senator Johnathan Iniguez and politcal science major Javier Varela discussing the legislation concerning bylaw revision dates.

The Constitution and Bylaw Revision Task Force has been rescheduled and the deadline to present the proposed revisions have been pushed to March 21, along with the passing of a senate bill that allows the court of the Associated Students of Cerritos College to document the dates of the revisions.

Originally, the proposed revision was supposed to be submitted to the ASCC senate on Jan. 10, but due to the bylaw portion taking much longer than expected it has been pushed to the later date.

For many years student involved in student government have had issues with the present bylaws saying that they are outdated.

The past legislation states: “Student leaders have a hard time interpreting and implementing the constitution and bylaws due to vague and unspecified procedures.”

“I heard about this bill being past last semester,” said Senator Jonathan Iniguez, “I’m part of the task force so moving forward I want to have a strong, steady bylaws and constitution for upcoming students and future leaders.

“My first semester in student senate I was confused with the bylaws” he said.

During the presentation of the senate bill concerning the recording of the revision dates, student-at-large and political science major Javier Varela stated that in revising the bylaws that “we will not research the old bylaws” due to time.

Senator Phil Herrera countered that point during the presentation and afterwards.

“The whole reason that this conversation is being had is very obvious to those in ASCC, that the bylaws, some of the line items and the constitution are outdated.

“So, I hear a lot of justification why things need to be changed[…] and how these changes haven’t been done in a certain amount of years, so the solution shouldn’t be historically documenting things now, it would be to go back as accurately as possible,” Herrera said.

David Ramirez, ASCC vice president, who was part of the forefront in the creation of the task force had a lot to say about the bylaws.

“From my point of view, Phil [Herrera] meant, ‘shouldn’t we look into when all the other bylaws were amended or added on,’ and the thing is, ASCC has kept decent records of things [however] there was a lot of transition of leadership[…] which happens normally.

“So during that process, some of the bylaws which have occurred in that time were implemented but as far as storing the information of when it was done was not done so effectively,” Ramirez said.

As of now on, ASCC court is to keep record of bylaws being revised to help future student leaders on knowing when the revision took place.

ASCC hopes that this will be done in time in order to send it into a vote by March 21.

David Jenkins, Editor in Chief