Mental Health therapists explain ways to manage stress

Samantha+Curameng+listens+to+viewers+about+their+experiences+related+to+stress.+Future+sessions+on+the+Lets+Talk+About+Stress+Group+will+be+held+every+Monday+of+October.+
Fatima Durrani
Samantha Curameng listens to viewers about their experiences related to stress. Future sessions on the “Let’s Talk About Stress Group” will be held every Monday of October.

“Let’s Talk About Stress Group” strives to improve mental health in a positive manner that is lead by growth by action. This event takes place on zoom, hosted by Samantha Curameng and Evan Jarboe, third-year students both pursuing a doctoral degree in clinical psychology (Psy.D).

Curameng and Jarboe have set a goal to develop a balanced way of life collaboratively with  individuals that experience stress because of the importance of recognizing how stress can impact daily life.

“It’s important to validate feelings when things happen out of our control,” Curameng said as she explained ways provide anxiety relief.

She explained that symptoms of stress can include physical pain such as nausea or sweating. Stress may manifest itself as cognitive pain including worry, anger and behavioral habits such as nail-biting or restlessness.

Progressive muscle relaxation is beneficial for tension,” Jarboe said, explaining the method which helps calm muscles down. “The focus of progressive muscle relaxation is to flex specific muscles.”

Jarboe continued to explain the relaxation exercise. After flexing muscles such as the neck or the arms in a comfortable chair, working the lower body up to the upper body, a person would then release to find comfort and ease in their body.

Curameng recommended watching a guided PMR.

“Anxiety is an essence a hyper-focusing of the past,” Jarboe said. “It takes practice and time to bring our focus back to the present moment.”

Curameng mentioned the limbic system, which contains our behaviors and emotional responses, results in letting our emotions go after they come into our mind.

Mindfulness helps you become more aware of your thoughts,” Curameng said as she explained a symbolic technique.

Curameng said that Imagining something peaceful like a beautiful river and a tree with fruits can help calm a person down.

As you close your eyes, the fruits in this scenario symbolize thoughts when they fall into the river and flow away, Curameng said.

“This symbolizes that thoughts don’t define who you are,” she said.

Jarboe connected with viewers as he gave advice on how to relax with specific methods such as the five, four, three, two, one method.

“You can vocally or silently point out five things you can see, four things you can hear, three things you can feel, two things you can smell and one thing you can taste,” Jarboe said.

According to Jarboe, this method helps individuals to ground themselves when experiencing anxiety or panic and helps with overwhelming emotions.

“It helps you re-focus your brain on the present moment,” Jarboe said.

The instructors recommend watching a short video on progressive muscle relaxation.

Jarboe and Curameng encourage viewers to drop by every Monday to check-in and find new ways to manage stress in a positive way.

Fatima Durrani, Opinion Editor
Fatima Durrani is the Opinion Editor & c0-online editor for Talon Marks. She is a Journalism major for Pre-law, and this is her last semester at Talon Mark before she transfers to a university. In addition to reporting, Fatima enjoys singing, editing photos, creating short films and reading poetry.