Psychology majors explain ways to manage stress

Samantha+Curameng+listens+to+viewers+about+their+experiences+related+to+stress.+Future+sessions+on+the+Lets+Talk+About+Stress+Group+will+be+held+every+Monday+of+October.+

Fatima Durrani

Samantha Curameng listens to viewers about their experiences related to stress. Future sessions on the “Let’s Talk About Stress Group” will be held every Monday of October.

Fatima Durrani, Staff Writer

“Let’s Talk About Stress Group” strives to improve mental health in a positive manner that is lead by growth by action. The event took place on zoom, hosted by Samantha Curameng and Evan Jarboe, third-year students both pursuing a clinical degree in psychology.

Curameng and Jarboe have set a goal of developing a balanced way of life in individuals that experience stress due to the importance of recognizing how stress can impact daily life.

“It’s important to validate feelings when things happen out of our control,” Curameng said as she explained ways provide anxiety relief.

She explained that symptoms of stress can include physical pain such as nausea or sweating. Stress may manifest itself as cognitive pain including worry, anger and behavioral habits such as nail-biting or restlessness.

A viewer mentioned that they feel most pain collecting in their neck and back, which is a physical symptom of where stress can develop.

Progressive muscle relaxation is beneficial for tension,” Jarboe said, explaining the method which helps calm muscles down. “The focus of progressive muscle relaxation is to flex specific muscles.”

Jarboe continued to explain the relaxation exercise. After flexing muscles such as the neck or the arms in a comfortable chair, working the lower body up to the upper body, a person would then release to find comfort and ease in their body.

Curameng recommended watching a guided PMR regardless of the duration.

“Anxiety is an essence in the future and depression is an essence of the past,” Jarboe said. “It takes practice and time to bring our focus back to the present moment.”

Curameng mentioned the limbic system, which contains our behaviors and emotional responses, results in letting our emotions go after they come into our mind.

Mindfulness helps you disconnect from your thoughts,” Curameng said as she explained a symbolic technique.

Curameng said that Imagining something peaceful like a beautiful river and a tree with fruits can help calm a person down.

As you close your eyes, the fruits in this scenario symbolize thoughts when they fall into the river and flow away, Curameng said.

“This symbolizes that thoughts don’t define who you are,” she said.

Jarboe connected with viewers as he gave advice on how to relax with specific methods such as the five, four, three, two, one method.

“You can vocally or silently point out five things you can see, four things you can hear, three things you can feel, two things you can smell and one thing you can taste,” Jarboe said.

According to Jarboe, this method helps individuals to ground themselves when experiencing anxiety or panic and helps with overwhelming emotions.

“It helps you distract your brain and distracts you from what you’re anxious or stressed about,” Jarboe said.

The instructors recommend watching a short video on progressive muscle relaxation.

Jarboe and Curameng hold encourage viewers to drop by every Monday to check-in and find new ways to manage stress in a positive way.