Why Facebook is the Best Social Network

Facebook is the best, most ingenious social media network since MySpace. It blows both Twitter and Google Plus out of the water with it’s technological capabilities. With around 750 billion users, making Mark Zuckerberg a billionaire, it’s no wonder they made a movie about it!

Facebook is universal. It can connect people from Norwalk, Calif. with people all the way in Lagos, Nigeria. You can play games and post quotes, what you are doing, photos, articles, videos, and links from other sites. There is so much you can do! It is also great for networking.

Celebrities can keep in touch with their fans, some companies can market their business to customers, and other companies can promote their events and persuade people into becoming future clients. It’s also great for connecting with loved ones.

People can keep in touch with friends and family. You can find out what they are doing, what they look like now; pretty much their whole life story.

Another great thing about Facebook is that it is safe and free to use. They let you personalize your account security that limits who can see certain things on your profile. You can also choose your friends that send you requests. It makes it difficult to get hacked into.

Twitter might be faster, but it does not have half the qualities that Facebook has. You can not write on your friends’ walls, choose who follows you, and make certain things private.

Everything you post or talk about can be read by anyone. Nothing is really private other than direct messages. Going through the privacy settings, they’re isn’t much privacy.

How would you like a complete stranger knowing things about you, like what you do and where you go? Sounds pretty creepy to me.

Google Plus is more private. You can even separate your friends, family, and co-workers into different categories on things you talk about and post. You can connect instantly from your phone and uploading pictures from your phone is automatic.

You can also virtually hangout with people with video chat rooms with your friends.

It’s basically a mock version of Facebook. Only difference? You have to set up a Google email account to use it. Now that means, if you do not have a Google email already, you have to create another email address in order to use Google Plus.

Who wants a bunch of email addresses that they need to keep track of?

What’s more of a hassle is that since it’s going through a trial period, you have to receive an invite to use it. It’s a waste of time instead of using Facebook, which you can use all the time, anytime, and you only need one email address.

Anyone can use it and it is easy to use and you can do the same things that you can do if you were to have a Google Plus account.

Cerritos College students specifically can benefit from having a Facebook over Twitter and Google Plus because they can stay connected with updates and news going on with the college as well as teachers and other students.

Students who made friendships with people in their classes will most likely not have them in another class next semester. That means they won’t be able to stay connected.

With Facebook, they can keep in touch even if their cell phone numbers change or they move away. They can keep in touch with teachers for questions on what they teach and assignments. Students can stay connected to what’s going on around campus.

It’s amazing the capabilities we are given nowadays with social networking!

However it is a privilege, not a right, so you must be smart and responsible for what goes on your Facebook. Be safe and have fun!

Lauren Gandara
Lauren Gandara, Editor in Chief
Hello, my name is Lauren Gandara and this is my fifth semester providing content for Talon Marks. After being a section editor for three years in a row since Fall 2011, I decided to take a semester off and did some freelance work. Coming back from taking a semester off, this is my final year as a member of the newspaper before I graduate as a journalism major. After leaving Cerritos College, my goal is to attend the University of Southern California and study telecommunications with a minor in fashion. After obtaining my Bachelor's, my goal is to become an on-camera reporter for E! News.