Cancer awareness shouldn’t be limited to breasts

Alejandra Ayala
Breast Cancer Awareness editorial cartoon.

Pete Moye’
Opinion Button

When most people hear the word cancer, the most often associated form is Breast Cancer. And while that is a very serious form of cancer, it is not the only form that there is.

With October being National Breast Cancer Awareness Month, people are gaining awareness through mass media like advertisements, television, radio and print.

Along with the continued awareness brought forth by the month of October, we should recognize that according to the National Cancer Institute, there are over 100 other forms of cancer which affect the human body as well. Cancer is not limited to the breast.

The National Cancer Institute also speaks of the most known forms of cancer as breast, colon, lung, and prostate cancers, but other cancers like Hodgkins lymphoma, leukemia, skin, stomach, liver, pancreatic, bladder, and bone are just a few additional forms of cancer that is pressing the health of us as a society.

We are directly impacted, either by a family member that has been affected by cancer, a friend, co-worker, or even a teacher.

Don’t wait until your life has been impacted to make a difference. Do something about it now. Educate yourself and get inspired to make a difference.

Possibly one of the worst things to endure is seeing a mother or father die of something like leukemia and to realize that we are not as informed as we thought we were.

We never think that it will happen to us or someone that we love, but in reality is can and does happen.

Please don’t wait until the unexpected happens to try to raise awareness and money for a cause. It hurts to think about what would have happened if only it had been taken more seriously.

Get yourself checked. Cancer does not discriminate. By taking a few minutes out of your day you can potentially add years onto your life.

Now is our chance to have our voice heard. Now is our chance to do something about this problem that faces each and every one of us.

We all need to realize how serious cancer is. Instead of standing around between classes, find a way to make a difference.

We could dye our hair pink for the entire month of October. We could wear pink t-shirts, pink ribbons, or even pink buttons.

Why don’t we organize a walk around the track in Falcon Stadium to raise money and bring awareness for all types of cancer.

Come on Cerritos students, let’s make a difference. If a life is not worth fighting for then what is? As an institution of learning, every one of us needs to support bringing awareness to cancer. For the month of October, let’s change our school colors from blue and white to pink and white.

There are many ways in which you can make a difference. You can donate to any of the cancer-related causes. You can participate in a cancer walk. Students, you can get together with your friends and all decide to participate in a bake sale.

If you don’t have money, you can volunteer your time, or get all of the clubs on campus to come together and organize a walk for fundraising purposes.

We need to not only bring awareness to Breast Cancer, but to all cancer. Making a difference starts with being informed, followed by being inspired, so get inspired, stay inspired, then act on it.

Patrick Dolly, Staff Writer