Getting a job is a step away

A common topic among college students is them complaining about how they need a job. But what are these students actually doing about it?

Students need to stop sitting on their butts and waiting for someone to hand them a job. Take the initiative to go out and take advantage of the resources that are offered on campus.

An excuse that some students make is that there are no jobs available.

In Feb. 2012, the Bureau of Labor Statistics published a news release stating that approximately 12.8 million people were unemployed.

With our country in a recession, businesses are looking for people who want jobs badly enough and are willing to put in the hard work.

If students aren’t constantly nagging these companies where they’re seeking employment, they just get ignored and put aside.

Did the Career Center just disappear out of thin air? Was it blown up?

The Career Center is available every day for students with thousands of job listings available.

There is no charge, nor any fees that you are required to pay, but you may occasionally have to wait a few minutes for assistance if there are other students there.

The college also provides students with job fairs.

It is something that the college makes available to students in between classes in crowded areas of the school, so that students are given the opportunity to check out what jobs are available to them.

Some students will take advantage of the opportunity, while others just walk past and don’t even pay attention to what the job fair has to offer.

They might just be walking past their entire future.

Many students are undecided about what they want to study for a career in anyway.

Instead, they take all these freshman classes and then start taking a bunch of random classes to figure out what interests them.

If you’re testing out the waters by paying money for all of these ridiculous classes, why not test the waters by listening to what people have to say about different careers for free?

It’s not going to hurt you to take a few minutes out of your day to listen to someone and get a pamphlet.

Let’s face it, not everyone is going to be a successful doctor, lawyer, teacher, or musician. Why not just take the chance to see what your options are for a career?

It’s a lot better than working the register at McDonald’s until you’re 80 years old.

Lauren Gandara
Lauren Gandara, Editor in Chief
Hello, my name is Lauren Gandara and this is my fifth semester providing content for Talon Marks. After being a section editor for three years in a row since Fall 2011, I decided to take a semester off and did some freelance work. Coming back from taking a semester off, this is my final year as a member of the newspaper before I graduate as a journalism major. After leaving Cerritos College, my goal is to attend the University of Southern California and study telecommunications with a minor in fashion. After obtaining my Bachelor's, my goal is to become an on-camera reporter for E! News.