Women need to stand up to harassment

It’s hard to stop every man from hitting on women, but there’s a point when it crosses the line and becomes harassment.

According to Merriam-Webster.com, the definition of harass is: “to create an unpleasant or hostile situation for especially by uninvited and unwelcome verbal or physical conduct.”

This happens to women everyday, and it is definitely unpleasant to walk to class and be bothered by someone constantly asking if you’re married, where you live, and what your number is.

What some women may wish is for it to all stop, to just be approached by a nice guy who asks your name, and what class your going to.

A man who can start a normal conversation and carry it out without any pressure toward the woman for anything more than a polite conversation.

Sadly, it isn’t the 1950s anymore and men don’t court women anymore.

We live in the 21st century, the life of getting what we want, when we want quickly.

It isn’t farfetched to think some men think the same thing about women, that they see what they want and think it’s somehow instantly theirs.

Well, they are wrong. Women are not property, especially when we go to school.

We come here, and pay a lot of money to be here, some even travel a long way to be here. The last thing we need is some guy following us around school.

Now, men are not the only ones to blame, some women are too.

Women should dress appropriately for school, if you don’t want a guy to think it’s okay for him to rudely comment on how much skin your showing, then don’t show it.

And don’t get overly angry if a man says that he thinks you look beautiful today, just say thanks, be polite and walk toward class.

But let’s face it, not all men are going to say you’re welcome and walk away either.

So you can walk with a guy friend to class, who may help to prevent you from being approached by guys when they don’t want to be.

Call a friend or family member when walking to classes, you’re less lightly to be approached if you are busy.

Lastly, just accept the world we live in, it’s going to happen, being harassed isn’t something women should have to live with but it’s also something that won’t go away.

If someone is constantly harassing you, to the point of you being scared of them, that is when it goes to far.

Contact campus police if someone on campus is harassing you or someone you know. The number is: (562)860-2451 Ext. 2325.

Alexandra Scoville, Editor in Chief
Spring 2014 My name is Alexandra Scoville, I am the editor-in-chief of the Talon Marks brand. This is my fourth semester on staff. I took a semester off in Fall 2013 and focused on taking a photography class and an audio class. I’m eager to use those skills for this semester of Talon Marks. When I am not in class or at school I’m usually watching wrestling or going to a live show. That’s like half my life. I’m interested in photography, writing and design. I plan on transferring to Cal State Fullerton and hope to teach a journalism class in the future.