The real meaning of search engines

Society views search engines like Google and Bing as tools to help it learn, laugh or plan a vacation. But it seems like recently search engines are more interested in indexing our lives.

We as a society are supposed to be learning from the search engines, not the other way around.

It is scary to think that some search engines actually track everything you search for just in order to advertise to you to make you spend money.

We get enough of that stuff just walking down the street. There are already billboards and advertisements on buses. Why do we need them every time we log in to our computers?

It doesn’t stop at search engines. It has recently spread to social networking sites like Facebook.

According to Mashable.com, Facebook has over 900 million users.

It’s no surprise that advertisers would jump at the chance to have their products be seen on Facebook.

It’s annoying to see all these advertisements on Facebook, some of which turn out to be scams anyway.

What really gets annoying is when Facebook tries to force you to spend money by instigating that on a friend’s birthday you go to their timeline wall and post a birthday message. Now Facebook also asks to send that friend a gift card.

To send a gift card would take away the good old tradition of actually handing someone a physical present.

There’s no question about it that people will spend money, but why do we have to practically get products thrown at us for that to happen?

Privacy is dwindling down since the rise in social media and networking, and it’s a scary thought.

There may come a day where whether you said anything or not, your computer or mobile device will know where you are, what you are doing, and who you are with.

There are people out there who want this, who want to tell people where they are.

It’s all too much. Some privacy is a good thing, some down time to yourself without your phone going off every 10 minutes.

Even to be able to search something on Google without something popping up asking if you want 10 percent off your next purchase of something you don’t even want would be nice.

Alexandra Scoville
Alexandra Scoville, Editor in Chief
Spring 2014 My name is Alexandra Scoville, I am the editor-in-chief of the Talon Marks brand. This is my fourth semester on staff. I took a semester off in Fall 2013 and focused on taking a photography class and an audio class. I’m eager to use those skills for this semester of Talon Marks. When I am not in class or at school I’m usually watching wrestling or going to a live show. That’s like half my life. I’m interested in photography, writing and design. I plan on transferring to Cal State Fullerton and hope to teach a journalism class in the future.