Avoid an extra-curricular meltdown

Students should not try to juggle so many extra-curricular activities just to look impressive on their transcripts.

College is no picnic. Having to juggle work, school and extra- curricular activities can become a hassle.

Students shouldn’t stretch themselves out so thin just to look good on their college transcripts.

What does being a part of a club on campus have to do with your future?

Especially if the club has absolutely no ties to what you want to do in your life.

Yes, it is good to be involved on campus so that you can be a well-rounded individual, but if you have enough on your plate as it is, joining a bunch of clubs isn’t going to do you any good.

It’s never a good idea to stretch yourself too thin. It causes a lot of stress that you don’t need and it can become hard to prioritize your daily activities.

You might forget to do your homework because you were so busy covering an extra shift at work and then helping your club with a fundraiser for its next field trip.

In any sense, you’re bound to let someone down, as well as yourself, the day that you can’t manage your time for everything.

Plus, it’s incomprehensible as to why colleges find those who are more involved at their school to be more desirable.

If you’re a straight A student with a good head on your shoulders, what does it matter if you voted for the ASCC Senate or joined the Library Club?

The entire purpose of attending school is to learn what you need to know to go into your profession.

There is no real reason why you should join a club other than for fun.

You aren’t a part of a club when you get a job in the real world. What would winning homecoming queen do for you in the real world?

Absolutely nothing. It would be a fun memory to have but it’s not something that’s going to get you highly honored in your profession.

It’s not going to do anything for you when you transfer either.

People aren’t going to come up to you and give you presents or bow at your feet just because you were ASCC president.

This is not to deter anyone who likes the club they are currently in or want to participate in any extra-curricular activities. If you like being a part of something on campus, then by all means, stick with it.

There’s nothing wrong with joining a club, but don’t make that your entire priority over the other important things going on with your life.

Not joining a club isn’t going to ruin your opportunity to get into the school of your dreams.

If you’re determined enough to do well in school and have a winning personality, there is no reason why a college wouldn’t accept you without a club or any extra- curricular activities attached.

Lauren Gandara
Lauren Gandara, Editor in Chief
Hello, my name is Lauren Gandara and this is my fifth semester providing content for Talon Marks. After being a section editor for three years in a row since Fall 2011, I decided to take a semester off and did some freelance work. Coming back from taking a semester off, this is my final year as a member of the newspaper before I graduate as a journalism major. After leaving Cerritos College, my goal is to attend the University of Southern California and study telecommunications with a minor in fashion. After obtaining my Bachelor's, my goal is to become an on-camera reporter for E! News.