The dream that won’t die

The American dream for the student isn’t looking so good. Some students have a hard time with life after getting a college degree.

According to The Atlantic.com, 53.6 percent of bachelor’s degree-holders under the age of 25 were jobless or underemployed in 2012.

It is a disappointment knowing that one has worked so hard to get a degree that after he does get it, he is either getting a minimum wage job or simply unable to get a job.

Many factors come to play in this situation. The job market is so brutal; there are so many people aiming for the same job.

In all actuality, it is also a matter of just staying afloat financially in order to pay for basic needs like food, water and housing.

According to projectonstudentdebt.org, California has a state average of $18,879 for some students who attended both public four-year institutions and private, non-profit four-year institutions.

Graduating from college should be a major accomplishment in anyone’s life, but for the student with debt, it’s a nightmare.

No one imagined that the American dream would be like this for college grads.

Students have to know what they want from college and know why they are here.

Don’t mess around with college, know the degree you want. Know how to use college to your advantage.

Some college grads don’t know where to start because they aren’t taught where to start while in school.

There are many things college students can do to survive out there.

One of many things they can do is refine their resumes and cover letters because this would help them when seeking a job.

Or, they can sign up for non-paid internships. College grads can’t sit around, be lazy and not do anything.

The major students pick decides how much they will make when it comes to jobs in that specific field.

Some majors that pay the most can give one a fat paycheck of $100,000 a year (which is mostly in engineering or the sciences) while the less-earning majors will get college grads $30,000 a year.

This doesn’t mean that people should change the major they already have in mind; this should just get students thinking about the money they can earn with the degree they are choosing.

Students should do what they want to do, whatever makes them really happy.

Even with the financial status of the country, students should be optimistic.

Explore all of your interests whether they would be the major you want to do or the money you can make from a major.

Get advice from people who have made it. There are so many people that students can talk to like teachers on campus.

Prepare now because a lot of what students do now will affect their future.

Luis Guzman
Luis Guzman, Managing Multimedia Editor
Fall 2014 Hey guys and gals, my name is Luis Guzman. I am journalism student at Cerritos College, I’ve been going there for about three years now. I have been involved with Talon Marks, the newspaper for Cerritos College, for five semesters. I have done mostly everything there is to do in Talon Marks; covering breaking news, page design, video production, podcast production, and photography. I like to read in my off time, mostly books about science fiction and horror. I also like to write fiction of my own, mostly poetry and short fiction. The career I have in mind would involve anything that has to do with creative writing and maybe writing some articles for newspapers here and there.