Grammys award wrong artists

A lot magnificent artists and producers took home different awards this past weekend at the Grammys. But did some of these winners deserve the award or did some of the other nominees get robbed of this prestigious honor?

Macklemore & Ryan Lewis took four Grammys on Sunday. The categories included Best New Artist, Best Rap Song, Best Rap Performance and Rap Album of the Year.

They beat out some of the best rap artist within the hip-hop industry like Jay-Z, Kanye West and Drake. The question is did Macklemore & Ryan Lewis deserve to have won these Grammys or did one of the other nominees get robbed?

The answer to this question is that while being the winners for the awards for both Rap Song and Performance was understandable, they did not deserve the honor for Rap Album of the Year.

The reason why Macklemore & Ryan Lewis did not deserve to win the Grammy for Rap Album of the Year is because Kendrick Lamar had the better rap album.

Lamar’s album “good kid, m.A.A.d city,” is the type of album that is an instant classic within hip-hop. His lyrics within the album and the way it was put together was extraordinary.

A great rap album consists of great lyrics and cohesive tracks that make the album as whole great. The only reason why Macklemore & Ryan Lewis won the Grammy for Rap Album of the Year is because a couple of their songs like “Thrift Shop” and “Same Love” became major hits and had an exorbitant amount of radio play.

Having hits does not make a great album. Lamar’s songs may not have been big hits like those from Macklemore & Ryan Lewis, however, Lamar did showcase and deliver a better rap album than that from Macklemore & Ryan Lewis.

Lamar was robbed of the Grammy for Rap Album of the Year.

Another award that was handed out was the Grammy for Best Pop Vocal Album.

The winner of this category was Bruno Mars for his album, “Unorthodox Jukebox.” Mars did put out a great album without a doubt, but Justin Timberlake’s “The 20/20 Experience- The Complete Experience” deserved to win this Grammy.

A lot of production and time went into Justin Timberlake’s comeback album; not only that, but JT’s album out sold Mars’s album by a huge margin.

JT should have also won the Grammy for Best Pop Solo Performance. JT’s song “Mirror” was nominated for this award, but did not win. The winner instead was Lorde for her song “Royals.” Lorde is a good young artist, but JT had a more popular and more exquisite song than Lorde.

Ultimately, this years Grammys were great and had its fair share of controversy when it came down to some of the winners on a handful of categories.

Grester Celis-Acosta
Grester Celis-Acosta, Managing Editor
I am Grester Celis-Acosta, I will the Managing Editor for Fall 2015. This will also be my third and final semester at Talon Marks and Cerrtios College. A little bit about me is that I love video games and music preferably hip hop. When I’m not busy with school I either play some video games or I just listen to music and relax. Twitter: @GresterC
Instagram: @gresterc23