Editorial: what the students should want

As of July spring semester, Cerritos students will have healthier food options on campus. There was a lot of effort put into having these changes at Cerritos.

Many students don’t even know what went into preparing discussions or meetings, hours that certain students put into making their cause heard.

By contrast students who aren’t involved, may have read about the changes and just imagined it happening overnight, much like deciding what to wear tomorrow for that cute guy/girl in their class.

But why stop there? Sure this change will improve student life here at Cerritos, but there’s so much more students can do.

Now the school, being a community college, does not have an open gym like universities do. Imagine this if Cerritos college entered into an agreement with LA Fitness.

If students paid an additional $10-$15 for their student ID cards, then they would have access to the LA Fitness.

Not only would the local LA Fitness see a boom in profits from our 22 thousand student population, but students would be able to benefit from access to cheap workout equipment.

The only problem and issue that would have to be discussed is over-crowding of the LA Fitness by Cerritos College and what can be done about it.

With enough students involved, LA FItness can be persuaded to extend the deal to all it’s southern California chains.

There are many other ways to improve student life. Like for instance expanding the game room.

The game room is a bit out dated with all the old arcade games and could use an upgrade.

Adding things like more modern games such as maybe a PlayStation 3 or Xbox 360 would be nice and those consoles aren’t as expensive as they once were, since the PlayStation 4 and the Xbox One are now out in the market.

Or maybe adding some other arcade games such as air hockey or other modern games such as Infinity Blade or Fruit Ninja. That both of which have been seen in arcades such as the one in Lakewood mall.

Even if the changes happen after students leave, their legacy was to improve the Cerritos experience for future students.

Now all these are all pipe dreams, unless Cerritos students have the drive to get more involved in Cerritos student life. More specifically, students need to get more involved in the inner politics of Cerritos.

The ASCC and board of trustee meetings aren’t some underground, meeting of the Illuminati featuring Jay Z. They’re completely open to any and all students here at Cerritos.

Now, many students, excluding the ones in the study of political science, hear politics and think “ugh”.

Politics can be seen as tedious and boring, but are more important and the way things get done.

You, as the students of Cerritos College, have the numbers and are the only ones that can really improve things for all students here, present and future. Issues aren’t discussed unless brought to attention.

You don’t need to belong to a special interest group or club to be heard. All students have a voice.

So get out there and get involved with Cerritos politics. If you want to see things are done and how even one individual has the power to change the quality of Cerritos.

Gustavo Lopez, Online Editor
I have coffee for blood and I'm not entirely sure I'm human anymore. I sort of stumbled into journalism and Talon Marks but I'm glad I did because I've always lacked direction, even though I've always been told I'm "smart." I've never really felt smart, more like the world doesn't make sense and I'm just trying to make sense of it. I'm a huge gamer and geek and the very model of a scientist Salarian. One thing you'll hear me say usually after several cups of coffee is either "I am Krogan" or "it had to be me, someone else would have gotten it wrong." I hope the editors and the new staff learn from my past mistakes, as well the ones that came before. I wish everyone the best in whatever they may pursue. Let's kick some ass, write good news and show them Talon Marks is more than just the newspaper. We're a team and family. This is Goose signing off, go get'em.