Charlie Hebdo massacre should not encourage censorship

What happened in France is shocking.

The terrorist attack in France is a sad and unfortunate event, it was a blatant attack on the fundamental freedoms of society.

Two gunmen came into the office building of Charlie Hebdo, a satirical magazine that published controversial cartoons, and killed 12 people.

It’s hard to comprehend that these people were killed simply because of cartoons. Where is the logic in that?

The gunmen were there to wage war against western ideals, hoping to send a message with sheer barbarity.

What’s mind boggling is that Charlie Hebdo kept on publishing these controversial cartoons even after it was threatened.

The magazine felt it had a right to publish due to freedom of expression, and it should be honored and treated like a hero for that belief.

It doesn’t matter if people thought the cartoons Charlie Hebdo published were appropriate or not, they should have the right to piss people off and not get killed for it.

These killings are meant to censor those fundamental rights through acts of aggression.

In a way I feel like this barbaric act will cause widespread censorship for other journalistic organizations.

My plea to the world is that cartoonists should keep on drawing freely.

I feel like this only strengthens the fact that the pen is mightier than the sword.

What I’m scared about is this will cause backlash toward the Muslim community.

Muslims shouldn’t be targeted, they’re not the problem. The problem lies with the extremism and not with a whole religion.

What needs to be done is that people should react in a peaceful way. We should all stand united against this sad event.

No matter what, we have to preserve our right as a free society.

Luis Guzman, Managing Multimedia Editor
Fall 2014 Hey guys and gals, my name is Luis Guzman. I am journalism student at Cerritos College, I’ve been going there for about three years now. I have been involved with Talon Marks, the newspaper for Cerritos College, for five semesters. I have done mostly everything there is to do in Talon Marks; covering breaking news, page design, video production, podcast production, and photography. I like to read in my off time, mostly books about science fiction and horror. I also like to write fiction of my own, mostly poetry and short fiction. The career I have in mind would involve anything that has to do with creative writing and maybe writing some articles for newspapers here and there.