Our responsibilities as a society

Our responsibilities as a society

The assumption that the poor are so because they “don’t work hard enough” or because they chose to be poor is like saying “ha, that person’s dead because he wants to be.”

Education, especially in this country that runs on the right to “the pursuit of happiness,” should be a universal right.

It’s of the utmost importance for those that are better off to take care of those that are not.

This doesn’t mean endless charity, but giving people a chance to better themselves that they may be like those that are “on top.”

Not only should the rich help fund this but the cost should be shared by everyone. As our founding father Thomas Jefferson said, “There should not be a district of one-mile square, without a school in it, not founded by a charitable individual, but maintained at the public expense of the people themselves.”

Every time there’s a social issue that calls for the rich to give more for the betterment of the poor, everyone suddenly pulls away. It’s not only wrong for the rich not to give to the poor, but it’s also extremely illogical.

The reasoning that not “all students will appreciate” the two-year college while valid can even in the worst case scenario be a minority.

For the most part, society is always crying out against suffering of the poor with a trendy hashtag or slogan but when it comes right down to it, no one wants to give up their money and time to help.

This selfish, “Atlas Shrugged” mindset is what keeps society separated. 

The rich have always been taxed in order to supplement government programs and not always reluctantly. It’s nothing new under the sun, it’s just that we’ve fallen into this trap of “big government being evil,” when in reality it has helped more often than it has been detrimental.

This anti-poor logic is what has people believing that everyone on food stamps looks like that surfer that was interviewed on Fox News special.

If you want to know what it looks like to be on food stamps, just look at a single mother working on a minimum wage or a couple who had a child too soon to be able to maintain it.

Not everyone is born into a position of wealth or well-being and for those that are, it should be a moral imperative to help those that are not.

Once again Jefferson was on to something, “[T]he tax which will be paid for this purpose [education] is not more than the thousandth part of what will be paid to kings, priests and nobles who will rise up among us if we leave the people in ignorance.” So help the poor, rich kids I’m looking at you. 

Gustavo Lopez
Gustavo Lopez, Online Editor
I have coffee for blood and I'm not entirely sure I'm human anymore. I sort of stumbled into journalism and Talon Marks but I'm glad I did because I've always lacked direction, even though I've always been told I'm "smart." I've never really felt smart, more like the world doesn't make sense and I'm just trying to make sense of it. I'm a huge gamer and geek and the very model of a scientist Salarian. One thing you'll hear me say usually after several cups of coffee is either "I am Krogan" or "it had to be me, someone else would have gotten it wrong." I hope the editors and the new staff learn from my past mistakes, as well the ones that came before. I wish everyone the best in whatever they may pursue. Let's kick some ass, write good news and show them Talon Marks is more than just the newspaper. We're a team and family. This is Goose signing off, go get'em.