Los Angeles goes on strike

Los Angeles County city workers voted to authorize a strike to protest a city contract that would prevent raises and require every worker to pay for a portion of his healthcare premiums.

Though no action has been called, the vote means that 10,000 city workers, represented by Service Employees International Union Local 721, could walk off the job at a moments notice.

The mayor needs to get to a place where everyone is content with the city contracts and the future of the city is secure.

Some of Los Angeles’ workers have been working without contracts since as far back as 2013.

Considering that the cost of living is on the rise it is reasonable to expect wages to increase as well. If the city workers of Los Angeles were under a contract such as the one that is being proposed, they would be left high and dry. As to how much of a wage increase, that is a specific that the unions and the city can compromise on.

If both the unions and the city can come to a middle ground, then it has to be found soon. Los Angeles is a large span of land and people. The city workers of Los Angeles keep the wheels turning.

Not only are the workers under the SEIU ready to strike, and the Coalition of L.A. City Unions representing another group of 10,000 workers working without contracts, there is risk that 20,000 workers will walk out on strike without a new proposal that is to their liking.

If one day 10,000 of those people just stopped performing their duties, the city would be in shambles, garbage would overflow into the streets, but with un-repaired streetlights, at least you wouldn’t have to see all the trash.

Alright, maybe the city wouldn’t fall to such a demise, but it would be rather inconvenient for everyone, the workers, the city, and it’s citizens. The world wouldn’t stop but the effects of a strike could take a large toll on the everyday workings of the city.

Amanda Del Cid, Social Media Editor
Amanda Del Cid, 20 years old. 
Current Social Media Editor of Talon Marks. 
Previously EIC of Libra Academy Inaugural  Literary magazine, and Co EIC of Libra Academy Inaugural news paper.
Played two seasons on the Cerritos College Tennis team.
Catch me around campus, we love to here from students and readers.
Follow at
Twitter: @delmanda94