Regressing to Jim Crow segregation

The betrayal of both the Civil Rights and the Free Speech Movement that took place in the 60’s is beginning to become a sore thumb in Universities in the U.S.

Racial segregation on college campuses are going to create more radical tension rather than decrease it. It’s not only racial segregation that we see trending in universities, but it’s also ideological isolations that is creating problems in the field of academia.

In recent years there has been a growing trend in university campuses creating isolation programs called Safe Spaces.

It first started off as a therapeutic session for women who had been sexually assaulted in the past, but it has become a tool to be used to protect oneself from opposing ideas and from individuals that one may find offensive.

These safe spaces have now started to branch off as to what is known as Black Spaces.

Color segregation for black students who feel threatened by white students and believe they don’t need to share certain spaces with white peers; this is absolute blatant racism!

This sort of practice and rhetoric doesn’t help the race issues in our country, in fact it deepens it.

What makes this situation repulsive is that many of these students who demand these black only segregated spaces masquerade it as a liberal and progressive stance against intolerance. This is quite opposite from the truth.

These tactics are both illiberal and regressive. The proponents of this segregation are trying to fight intolerance with intolerance.

The latest that is seen of this situation is in California State University in Los Angeles (CSULA).

A campus group named Black Student Union demanded (more like dictated) that the university create a “housing space delegated for black students” and went on about the preposterous notion of “micro-aggressions.”

This isn’t only happening in CSULA, it’s also in UC Berkeley, Stanford University, University of Iowa, etc.

Students who make these claims usually get what they demand due to intimidation and fear. People who disagree with these demands don’t voice their opposition out of fear of being called a racist.

There has been a push back against this authoritarian position.

The University of Chicago took a stand against these isolated and segregated spaces, by promoting ideas of the enlightenment, the “freedom of inquiry and expression”.

The university wrote a letter to the freshmen students saying;

“Our commitment to academic freedom means that we do not support so-called trigger warnings, we do not cancel invited speakers because their topics might prove controversial, and we do not condone the creation of intellectual safe spaces where individuals can retreat from ideas and perspectives at odds with their own.”

This is what we need to do. Let’s build Intellectual spaces instead, where positions can be discussed, such as the issues of racial tension in our country. Allow these individuals to make their argument in a public forum.

You don’t just demand people do things under the notion of oppression, you make your case to the public, and in return the public may applaud or critique your case.

Let’s not allow the principle of the diversity of people stifle against the diversity of ideas.

David Jenkins
David Jenkins, Editor in Chief