How do you think President Trump’s immigration policies will affect Cerritos College?

Carlos Madrigal
Photo credit: Lindsay Helberg

#1 Carlos Madrigal- Undecided major,

“Students wanting to attend the college from abroad would have difficulty coming in. It also affects students that want to study outside the country or attend an educational function. They may fear not being able to come back.”

Casey Piotrowski-part time faculty at Cerritos College
Part time faculty member at Cerritos College Photo credit: Lindsay Helberg

#2 Casey Piotrowski – Part-time Theater Professor,

“I think the Travel Ban is just another way of scapegoating people. Creating enemies and fearing people for no justifiable reason. It would prevent international students that represent Cerritos College very well from coming to the school.”

Sheila Jones
Child Development Major Photo credit: Lindsay Helberg

#3-Sheila Jones- Child Development Major

“I think there would be a protest on campus. Also, some students are first generation born here and their parents might not have their visas so it will mess with their whole families.”

Jessie Mendoza
Major- Cyber Security Photo credit: Lindsay Helberg

#4- Jessie Mendoza – Cyber Security Major

“I think that a lot of people would be upset, mainly the minorities and feel like it is an attack toward them. I think students would unite in protest to try and get their voices heard.”

Brad Rivera
Music Major Photo credit: Lindsay Helberg

#5- Brad Rivera- Music major,

“I am first generation here and it makes me mad the way President Trump has been running things. I just got back from Cancun on a trip with my family and my mom and her fiancé were detained for four hours because of the new regulations that are being enforced. It is going to limit the access that these first generation students will have to their culture, which will be horrible since your culture and where you come from is a big part of who you are.”

Justine Santos
Major- Asian Studies Photo credit: Lindsay Helberg

#6-Justine Santos, Asian Studies major,

“I honestly think people will go into a protest and do whatever they can to stop it from happening.”

Enrique Rivera
Major- Film Photo credit: Lindsay Helberg

#7- Enrique Rivera, Film major,

“A lot of people will be upset and probably a lot of students wont be able to come to college. Even people who aren’t immigrants will be upset and some students will have to go home.”

Lindsay Helberg, Staff Writer
Lindsay Helberg is a staff writer at Talon Marks, a huge sport enthusiast and has a slight obsession with the NFL, especially the Chargers. After graduating from Cal Poly San Luis Obispo with a Bachelor of Art’s degree and concluding her D1 volleyball career, she decided to pursue a profession in the entertainment industry. She worked on shows such as the Dr. Phil Show at Paramount Studios in Los Angeles and Fox NFL Sunday. Wanting to work more in the sport broadcasting industry, she decided to leave both jobs and go back to school to pursue a master’s degree in Journalism. Outside of school, she works for non-profit organizations, where she puts together events and galas for some of the biggest charities in the nation. She also works for the Orange Unified School District as a special education teacher and is extremely passionate about teaching her students. Lindsay is very excited to learn, as well as grow this fall and to work with the Talon Marks newspaper team.