Security is Secure Right?

Photo credit: Rachel Tully

The Cerritos College campus is an remarkably easy target, campus security is mediocre and there’s nowhere to run for cover or even a nearby emergency pole to reach to alert the police.

Yet, the famous “Run, Hide, Fight” is what we are supposed to use if there is an active shooter, and this clearly still isn’t good enough for us.

As students on this campus, we have very little knowledge of who could be a shooter and what would happen if a shooting were to occur.

Training courses and emergency practice drills should be held every semester or once a school year so new students will be aware on the college’s plan of action and current students get a refresher course.

Cohesive plans and strategies should be implemented among students specifically so they are prepared and won’t panic.

Students deserve better security for their lives. It’s sickening to have to worry about coming to school and think about are we going home to see another day or will this be the our last day on Earth?

Students on this campus should be ready to know what to do when if a shooter was to walk on this campus and we need more than just the average security we have now.

Safety is a top priority and an active shooter plan for the students would be a great deal of help.

An active shooter safety plan for students could better the chances of losing any students and our survival.

With threats becoming an almost daily occurrence, such as the threat that surfaced Sunday night in Norwalk.

Although the threat was a hoax, it shouldn’t deter us from the fact that the possibility of an school shooting happening is not being addressed with utmost importance and severity.

With emergency lights that are oddly situated around the campus, how would we be able to alert the police while we’re stuck in a locked room?

Campus police would not know where our exact location is and what building are all the students in.

Students could call 911, however, police officers not familiar with the layout of the campus may have a slower response time reaching those in danger.

Most students are not aware of the college’s 10 digit phone number plus the campus police’s four digit extension so being able to contact campus police immediately in a case of emergency is not exactly possible.

An essentially 14 digit number is not as simple as dialing the three digit number, 911.

Students must have a cohesive plan of action as to not be caught off-guard if such a situation were to occur.

Those who notice anything or anyone acting suspiciously can contact the campus police department at (562)-860-2451 x 2325

Bianca Martinez
Bianca Martinez, Editor in Chief
Desmond Byrd
Desmond Byrd, Staff Writer