Four year universities visit Cerritos College

Transfer admissions councilor, Sarah Ruiz, from Azusa Pacific University briefs Brittney Santiago, a first-year psychology major, on how Azusa Pacific stands out from her other college choices. Traditional four-year universities, private universities and art universities answered questions all afternoon about requirements and possibilities for future students. Photo credit: Julissa Villalobos

More than 60 CSU and UC universities set up camp in Falcon Square on Thursday, Sept. 14 morning for Cerritos College’s annual University Mega Fair.

Students on campus showed up to explore the different universities in attendance to start thinking about their futures after Cerritos College.

Brittney Santiago, psychology major, is executing her “Plan E” and is planning to transfer to a four-year university after her two years at Cerritos College to Cal State Los Angeles or Azusa Pacific University for the forensics program.

By attending the Mega Fair, she was able to speak to representatives from both these colleges and compare and contrast the two and determine which one might be the best fit for her.

Transfer admissions counselor, Sarah Ruiz, represented Azusa Pacific for a second year compared today’s student attendance, “It is about the same right now, usually more students come out at about lunch time. It’s a pretty good turn out.”

The Mega Fair had a consistent flow of students passing through to talk with representatives and get answers to their questions about potential future schools.

After six years in the military, Francisco Hernandez, mechanical engineering major asked about, “the required classes, the average GPA for acceptance and how to apply.”

He joked that the college he preferred to attend would be the college that accepts him.

Edward Nava, an outreach recruiter from Cal Poly Pomona attended the Mega Fair to represent the university.

“More so, we would like to go ahead and promote higher education; our philosophy is to learn by doing, so we want to bring that to these students,” Nava said.

Traditional four-year universities, private universities and art universities answered questions all afternoon about requirements and possibilities for future students.

Many of the local universities seemed to have a larger amount of inquires than the schools that were a little further from the city of Norwalk.

Several schools from the Bay Area made an appearance as well as a university from Hawaii.

Julissa Villalobos
Julissa Villalobos, Staff Writer
Julissa Villalobos is a staff writer for Talon Marks. She is looking forward to transferring to Cal State Long Beach to continue her work with journalism and photography and turning those two passions into a career.