Students learn about e commerce in China

Professor of Business Administration Jianli Hu went over the aspects of Giant in China. International student week happens every year in November. Photo credit: Nicholas Johnson

Nicholas Johnson

Professor of Business Administration Jianli Hu hosted a lecture about the e-commerce in China and the aspects of it as well.

She went over Alibaba, which plays a part in the e-commerce of China, where Alibaba was found by Jack Ma 17 years ago in China.

Open Sesame also played a part in Alibaba. The e-commerce was global and people needed a name that was globally recognized, so Alibaba brought to mind Open Sesame.

On the other hand, Open Sesame is a platform that open different opportunities for fortune and for small business.

People from Tokyo, China, Germany and India knew about Alibaba and that is how it proceeded- Alibaba can be defined as a smart, business person.

She mentioned the start of Taobabo and its differences from consumer to consumer, business to consumer, business to business and consumer to business.

Taobabo is free, unlike eBay.

She also talked about how Alibaba continued to grow as a company while eBay declined and Alibaba had to fight intelligently to get what they want.

EBay began to deliver the most aggressive campaigns in order to dominate the market and spent $100 million setting up the website in China.

As a defensive strategy, Jack Ma launched Tobago and eBay eventually lost due to Taobabo having better options than eBay.

Alipay was discussed as “weak” — meaning that funds are put in escrow so that way the sellers do not receive payment until buyers confirms receiving the goods in good condition.

She talked about the Growth of Giant and 80% of China Online shopping is dominated by Alibaba.

In addition, Single’s Day in China occurs on Nov. 11th of every year. It was originated in Nanjing University in 1913.

The event is for single people, where they get together to party. Alibaba made it an online shopping festival which offered discounts and store promotions.

George Patino, kinesiology major, said “It was pretty informative to know about the electronic business of China and how their transactions work. It was more of a cultural awareness and an eye opening of what happens in China.”

Cherish Balugut, nursing major, said “It went pretty well. It was interesting and she gives you a lot of information about the company.”

Yiran Zhou, Chinese professor, said “I think this event benefits my Chinese students because when students take foreign language, they need to learn about different companies.”

He mentioned how the lecture was enlightening and he hopes that more students take a foreign language in the future.

About the Writer
Nicholas Johnson, Staff Writer
Hello, my name is Nick Johnson and I am a staff writer for Talon Marks. My major is journalism and the area of journalism that interests me is media and society journalism. The type of job I hope to have one day is being on TV as a host for entertainment such as E News!