Students prepare themselves at active shooter awareness

Police+Chief+Tom+Gallivan+informing+faculty+and+students+on+the+tactics+of+what+to+do+during+an+active+shooter+on+campus.+The+three+main+ideas+to+remember+are+run%2C+hide+and+fight.+
Carlos Ruiz
Police Chief Tom Gallivan informing faculty and students on the tactics of what to do during an active shooter on campus. The three main ideas to remember are run, hide and fight.

With the recent tragedies in Parkland, FL and the false claim occurrences on social media it was time to emphasize what you should do during an active shooter event.

The Cerritos College’s Police department scheduled Active Shooter Preparedness presentations for March 26 and 27.

During the presentation it was discussed with faculty and students in attendance the precautions and steps to take if this situation were to ever become apparent.

Students and faculty were able to ask any questions they had about certain aspects of what they should or shouldn’t do.

Police Chief Tom Gallivan was the speaker of the presentation and was there to answer the questions the public had.

Gallivan has always believed that Cerritos College was “a very, very safe campus.”

The presentation aimed at informing those who didn’t have a clue on what to do during active shooter situations.

Gallivan said, “If you see something, say something.”

He discussed the idea if you feel like you may be wrong, it would be better to speak rather than to let it happen, knowing the certain situation could’ve been prevented from the very beginning.

During the presentation Gallivan shared a video on how to survive an active shooter event with three simple tactics; run, hide and fight.

_MG_0071.JPG
Campus Police Chief Gallivan during the presentation for active shooter preparedness. Gallivan was delighted with the turnout in attendance. Photo credit: Carlos Ruiz

Gallivan mentioned that the run, hide and fight tactics may very in order depending on the situation, but generally running to safety would be the ideal starting point.

Quick thinking is necessary in situations of this manner.

If you aren’t able to run, make sure you’re in a safe and hidden position with your phone silenced or off.

The last case scenario would be to fight back against the perpetrator.

Gallivan suggested that if you are in a classroom, grab heavier objects like chairs, desks, laptops and anything that can be utilized to stop the suspect.

One of the student attendees, Tania Martin, a liberal studies major, said it is important to have presentations like this, especially with the recent shootings.

“It was a really good idea because they were so open to answering the questions some audience members had,” said Martin.

After attending the presentation Martin says, she feels more informed on what to do now and it is always better to be prepared in situations rather than to freak out and not know what to do.

Campus Police Sergeant Randy Albano says the best thing to have is situational awareness.

Albano mentioned having situational awareness everywhere and always is key, being prepared and making sure your surroundings are safe is a great way to maintain safety.

There’s an active shooter on the premises and you’re not so sure what to do?

Here are the main bullet points that were in the video during the active shooter presentation:

Run

• If there is an escape path, attempt to evacuate.
  • Evacuate whether others agree to or not.
  • Leave your belongings behind.
  • Help others escape if possible
  • Prevent others from entering the area.
  • Call 911 when you are safe.

Hide

• Lock and/or blockade the door.
  • Silence your cell phone.
  • Hide behind large objects.
  • Remain very quiet

Your hiding place should:

• Be out of the shooter’s view.
  • Provide protection if shots are fired in your direction
  • Not trap or restrict your options for movement

Fight

• Attempt to incapacitate the shooter
  • Act with physical aggressive
  • Improvise weapons
  • Commit to your actions

At the end of the presentation the audience was reminded of the shooting in Florida and how it is a stark reminder that campuses should be prepared for situations of that nature, the Active Shooter Preparedness presentations were just the beginning.

On April 19 there will be a Shelter in Place Drill at 10:19 a.m. and again at 7:19 p.m., the campus will be instructed to stay in the classrooms and view the short Run, Hide and Fight video from the presentation.

Carlos Ruiz
Carlos Ruiz, Managing Editor
Carlos Ruiz is the Managing Editor for Talon Marks. He admires photography, and even launched his own website and has dedicated his Instagram to his work. His dream job is always changing, but most recently, he would like to travel the world taking photos, or something having to do with photojournalism. He’s hopeful to continue working on a newspaper staff at the CSU he decides to attend.