Track finishes second and third at SCC Championship

Pete Moye’/TMS

Sophomore Ameer Webb broke the school record in the 100-meter sprint (10.16) and the 200 meter sprint (21.04) as the men took second place in the Southern Coast Conference Championship against Mount San Antonio College last Friday.

Freshman Priscilla Gardner placed first in the discus, hammer, and shot put to help the women place in second.

Webb said, “I train everyday to get [those records] this fast, and the hard work has paid off.”

He continued, saying, “Coach [Treallis] Brown always kept me motivated. Right before the race, he just told me to come out of  the gate hard.”

Sophomore Brandi Gerardo placed  first in the 400-meter IH for second place, while sophomore Sandra Flores won the 3000-meter steeple chase for the women.

Other winners from the men’s team included sophomore Gabriel Hilbert in the 800-meter race, freshman Daniel Herrera winning the 5000 and 10,000 meter race, and sophomore Karlin Stewart in the long jump competition.

Hilbert said, “I like winning, and winning is a good feeling; I have a strong finish, and that’s what wills me to win.”

Distance coach John Goldman is glad about the program’s success.

“Overall, I thought we did a really good job, we won a lot of conference champions this year,” he said.

Goldman also mentioned how tough the SCC is and how winning a championship is a big deal.

“Finishing in the top three in our conference means a lot, if you could do that in our conference, you’re a really good team,” he said.

“The championship always comes down to [Cerritos] and Mt. SAC especially in the last several seasons,” he said.

Twenty-six members of the men’s track and field team have been placed in the Southern California Preliminaries, and  36 of the women have been chosen.

The Southern California Preliminaries are this Friday at noon at Mount San Antonio College.

Anthony Hodge, Staff Writer