A Hodge– Track & Field SoCal Championship

The track and field program placed in second and third in the SoCal finals last Friday at Mount San Antonio.

Sophomore Ameer Webb ran the fastest time in Southern California Community College history in the 100 meter sprint (10.16) and 200 meter sprint (20.33) as the men took second place.

For the women’s team, freshman Priscilla Gardner won discus (153’9″) and sophomore Brandi Gerardo won the 400 meter IH (1.04.90), putting the women in third.

Doug Wells, Director of the Track and Field program, commented on Webb’s record breaking performance.

“I told my team that I don’t know what they realized what they witnessed, because that was an unbelievable performance.

“And we hope he can continue to perform for one more week,” Wells said.

Webb said that he was a little hurt during his races.

“It was just a slight strain I had in my leg, I just had to suck it up and keep running,” he said.

Other winners from the men’s team were freshmen Daniel Herrera in the 10,000 meter race (31:41.93), and sophomore Karlin Stewart winning the long jump (25’4 3/4″).

For the women, Gerardo also placed third in the 100-meter HH (14.62).

Sophomore Cora Radley placed second in the 400 meters (54.60) and placed fifth in the 200 meters (54.60).

The men and women each qualify for 14 events respectively in the State Championship.

Wells said that the program will go easy in the preparation of the State Championship.

“All of the hard work is done now, now is just fine tuning, staying healthy this week, light workouts, it’s all mental now,” he said.

The State Championship is this Friday and Saturday at American River.

Anthony Hodge, Staff Writer