Cross country’s Herrera beats the field in SoCal preview meet

Sports+Button
Pete Moye’
Sports Button

Pete Moye’
Sports Button

The Cucamonga-Guasti Regional Park played host to the SoCal Preview Meet that over the weekend featured the Cerritos College men’s and women’s cross country teams.

The men’s team completed the event with a collective eighth place finish, with Cerritos freshman runner Daniel Herrera finishing in first of 29 schools and 300 other runners that competed.

Herrera was not the only male Cerritos College runner to finish in the top five. Munir Kahhsay clocked at top five finish as well.

“It gave me a really good feeling of who’s who and it gave me an idea of who to look out for,” Herrera discussed the benefit of the SoCal Preview Meet.

Other runners from the men’s team to place were Jose Hernandez, who finished placing 48th, Thomas Post, who finished 52nd, and Brandon Taylor, who finished in 67th place.

The women’s Cerritos College cross country team also competed in the event as well finished collectively in sixth place.

The top Cerritos College runner was Natalie Fyke, who ended the day placing 18th.

Adriana Raya, Julia Plecnik, Giselle Dominguez, and Gabriella Villalobos also placed, finishing 23rd, 53rd, 56th, and 61st, respectively.

Next up for the men and women teams will compete in the Vanguard Invitational in Costa Mesa on Saturday at 9:00 p.m., where they will be one of few junior college teams to compete against several four-year schools.

Patrick Dolly, Staff Writer