Softball tries for a home run to State Championships

In a season that has seen the Cerritos College softball team suffer only eight losses, the top ranked Falcons are poised to make a deep run into the playoffs this year, possibly ending with a state championship.

Sophomore shortstop Briana Quintana feels that a championship is something that the team is pushing toward.

“I expect us to work hard and get to state [championships] at the very end. I wouldn’t say I would be disappointed if we don’t go all the way, but I know that we can do it.

With a 28-8 overall record, and 19-2 in South Coast Conference play, the Falcons have clinched at least a share of the conference title.

Freshman catcher Julia Mendoza feels that a consistent approach to the season has assisted in its success.

“We’ve just been doing what we have been doing all year, and we’re just going with the flow,” Mendoza said.

Winning its first two games of the season, the Falcons started strong with victories against Fullerton College and Bakersfield College before suffering its first loss of the season against Saddleback College.

Following a no contest matchup against Antelope Valley College, the Falcons went on a ten game winning streak that included a 26-2 victory against El Camino College Compton Center, as well as a 13-12 victory over AVC, making up for the previous match up where the two teams failed to complete the game.

After a 15-11 loss to rival Mt. San Antonio College that ended in a walk off grand slam home run for the Mounties, the Falcons strung together another winning streak, winning their next 11 consecutive games.

Sophomore outfielder/pinch runner, Sacheen Contreras is proud of how the team has preformed.

“I think that we’re finishing conference [play] really strong, and I think that we are going to start playoffs like it’s a new season,” Contreras said.

A loss against Cypress College on Saturday handed the Falcons their most recent loss of the season.

The team now has a 1-2 record against Cypress this season.

With the playoffs approaching, the Falcons are ranked No. 3 in Southern California and preparing to enter post season play where the top eight seeded teams will host a best-of-three game series.

The first round of the playoffs will be on May 5 and 6.

Patrick Dolly, Staff Writer