Spring sports season comes to an end

As the spring semester comes to an end, so does the sports season. With only track left to finish off its season, several of the Cerritos were able to reach state championships and conferences.

Both the men’s and women’s track and field teams placed second in the South Coast Conference Championships.

The women placed with 162 points, as Priscilla Gardner took first in both the shot put and discus events.

Angel Sifuentes also placed first in the javelin event.

The men’s team placed second with 153 points.

They were able to place second with wins by Juan Tapia in the 400 meters, Munir Kahssay in the 5,000 meters, Daniel Herrera in the 10,000 meters, Jerrad Lipscomb in the 110-meter high hurdles and Brandon Taylor in the 3,000 meter steeplechase.

Also having a pretty successful season was Cerritos’ softball team.

The team ended its season with a 29-10 overall record and a 20-1 conference record, with a 10 game winning streak.

It ended its season with a mercy ruling against Southwestern in the sixth inning.

It ended the game 7-15.

Another women’s team to end the season well was the Falcons’ women’s basketball team.

They ended their season at the Third Round Southern California Regional Playoff against El Camino College, losing 72-62.

They were two games away from the State Championships and had an ending overall record of 23-8 and a conference record of 12-4.

As women’s basketball ended with a solid record, the men’s team wasn’t as successful.

The men’s basketball ended its season with an overall record of 10-17 and a conference record of 2-11.

The team ended its season with a 61-60 win against El Camino College.

However, even with its win, the team didn’t qualify for playoffs.

Baseball also had a weak season this year, ending its season with an overall record of 7-29.

The team also ended the season with a 13 game losing streak.

It is known as one of the worst baseball records in Cerritos College history.

Men’s swimming was able to end its season on a good note, placing fourth overall in the South Coast Conference Championships.

It ended the championships with 483 points.

The women’s swim team ended its season placing 20th in the South Coast Conference Championships.

Its overall team score was 39 points.

The only sports event for the spring season will be track participating in the SoCal Championships at San Diego Mesa on May 12.

If the team places in the upcoming championship, it will move on to end their season at home at the State Championships on May 18 and 19.

Lauren Gandara
Lauren Gandara, Editor in Chief
Hello, my name is Lauren Gandara and this is my fifth semester providing content for Talon Marks. After being a section editor for three years in a row since Fall 2011, I decided to take a semester off and did some freelance work. Coming back from taking a semester off, this is my final year as a member of the newspaper before I graduate as a journalism major. After leaving Cerritos College, my goal is to attend the University of Southern California and study telecommunications with a minor in fashion. After obtaining my Bachelor's, my goal is to become an on-camera reporter for E! News.