Consecutive wins for Falcons

Freshman Marlon Moreno performing an offensive move toward the rugged defensive work of freshman Alfredo De La Mora.

The Cerritos College men’s water polo team has a two game winning streak following an away victory against Mt. San Antonio 13-10, Wednesday, Sept. 18.

This is the first time this season they started a winning streak and they are officially a .500 ball club for the first time this season.

Freshman goalie Alfredo De La Mora played well and sophomore Miguel Garcia was leading the team to turn around their slow start in the beginning of the game.

The Falcons are slowly starting to figure out how good they can really be and freshman Micheal Hanna thinks this was their best game yet.

Freshman Hanna said, “We had a great performance. (This was) probably (one of) our better ones of the season.”

This has been the highest points the team has scored this season, although it did give up 10 goals against Mt. San Antonio.

Head coach Joe Abing feels the team needs to fix its defense and that it’s getting a little bit better, but the turnovers are still a bit of a problem.

“(There are a) few things on defense we need to work on and then on offense we are turning over the ball less, but there are still too many turnovers that we commit,” coach Abing said.

Sophomore Derek Klotzer also feels they need work on defense. He went on to say, “We performed fairly well. We accomplished what we wanted to accomplish, but there are still a few kinks here and there that need to be addressed, mostly defense during counters. Being more aware on defense and making sure we do switches when the opponent are doing picks.”

The team is preaching defense and turnovers and they feel they can keep this winning streak going more than just two.

Last week against Ventura, they came out with momentum after a 8-7 victory at home.

This week, according to sophomore Randy Baldwin, they did not utilize it effectively.

Baldwin explained, “We did OK. We seemed lazy in the beginning. We maintained a good lead and then got a little too comfortable toward the end and lost it, but we won in the end.”

He elaborated on the laziness by saying, “We need to communicate more. There are simple fundamental stuff we need to work on.”

Cerritos Falcons go up against the U.S. Naval Academy next on Sunday at home.

Game time is 8 a.m.

Dominic Hennix
Dominic Hennix, Staff Writer
Hello, my name is Dominic Hennix. I am a 19year old enrolled in Cerritos Community College majoring in journalism, also a staff writer for the college newspaper. This is my first semester here and I am really excited. My television and computer is always on ESPN and that is my goal to work for that great company. I also love movies and are always going to see the latest movies. Hope to have much success on this field and have fun.