Addressing mistakes against Mt. SAC

197 pound freshman Christian Sanders wrestling during practice.

133-pound sophomore George Mariscal is aware of the mistakes he and the team have made in previous competitions and hopes to rectify those mistakes in an away competition against Mt. San Antonio college Wednesday, Oct. 9 at 7 p.m.

“There are always those mistakes that teams are going to encounter in the season. The way we’re progressing right now, we’re really addressing those mistakes, ” Mariscal said.
Saturday, at the Santa Ana tournament, the team placed fifth, right beneath fourth seeded Mt. San Antonio, and head coach Don Garriott believes the team needs to wrestle with more passion if it’s going to come out victorious.

“Some of our guys need to wrestle with a little more heart. That part where two guys are even (in terms of ) strength and one guy just needs to dig down deeper and fight for it and want it more. I think a couple of our guys need to do that.”

The team has been consistent and has been adjusting to any flaws in its technique.

“We’re coming along right where we should be,” Garriott said. “All the things we’re working on in practice, we are seeing improvement in tournaments. It’s always going to be a process, it’s not like we’re there yet, but it seems everything we’re working on is improving.”

149 pound sophomore Brian Simmons noted that the team has to be vigilant and said, “We have to keep the points close.”

“I feel this performance will determine how we will be seeded in the regional tournament,” Mariscal said. “If we go into this tournament well prepared, it can serve as motivation to win this dual.”

275 pound freshman Julio Flores added, “We need to get people healthy. If we get everybody in the right weight, we should do pretty well against Mt. SAC.”

Denny Cristales
Denny Cristales, Editor-in-Chief

The Big Cheese! I am the Editor-in-Chief Denny Cristales. Just your average, mild-mannered pupusa lover who covers news. I’m not one of those jerks who would ramble on and on about what they do - such as being a former Sports and News Editor, in addition to earning third place at the CCMAs for my sports page design - no, I won’t do that (My staff also conquered the LA Times in local breaking news coverage).  What I will do is tell you to look at talonmarks.com and admire the work we do.

Also, talk to me on Twitter: @Den_Crist , or email me: . I embrace the criticism (Also, I get lonely).