Volleyball seeking to right wrongs

Freshman middle blocker Sara Hickman and freshman outside hitter Tisha Lenon rise up for the ball during practice.

Cerritos College women’s volleyball team played against Mt. San Antonio on Friday, Oct. 18. The final scores were 25-20, 27-25, 25-21 in which the Falcons lost 3-0.

Although their previous game was not as successful as it would of liked, the Falcons still feel confident as a team because every set was lost by close points.

Chelsea James, middle blocker, said, “I learned that playing another first tempo team as well as us, is that we need to be faster, release the ball quickly, bending our knees and just expect everything because we play high rate teams.”

She says they need to work as a team by being together, in order to have a good success rate.

“Well, we lost close to the game (Mt. San Antonio) was very tough the first game,” she said. “We gained confidence the second set, but the third game we started really good but our confidence fell down which caused us to start making mistakes and that is what broke down the team.”

Head coach Teresa Velasquez Ortega says she is positive that for the next round, the women will be more confident because they learn from every experience and that makes the team stronger for the next round.

The team will be playing two away games this week. They will be playing against Pasadena City College on Oct. 23 at 6 p.m. and against Los Angeles Harbor College at 6 p.m. as well.

Sara Hickman, Right Side Hitter/Middle Blocker said, “Their outside hitter is really good, and we are just going to ready for anything.”

She added, “That’s just for Pasadena City College, we have no idea about the other team (Los Angeles Harbor)”. Hickman also said the team is working on being together and playing better as a team.

Head coach Teresa Velasquez said the game against Pasadena Wednesday afternoon will be a tough game, and on top of that, two of the players are sick and won’t be able to play. She added that this is a good opportunity for other team members to step up. She also said that the team needs to improve on a lot of things, including serving and receiving which is the most important in a game.

Jessica Pacheco
Jessica Pacheco, Staff Writer
Spring 2014 My name is Jessica Pacheco and I am a second semester staff writer for Talon Marks. I like reading, exploring, and meeting new people. I am still undecided on what I would like to major. Jessica was reporter for Talon Marks fall 2013