Gonzalez honored in post-women’s soccer season

Winning two back-to-back state championships, womens soccer head coach Ruben Gonzalez was awarded National Coach of the Year.Photo credit: Sebastian Echeverry
Winning two back-to-back state championships, women’s soccer head coach Ruben Gonzalez was awarded National Coach of the Year.Photo credit: Sebastian Echeverry

Winning back-to-back state championships has brought women’s soccer head coach Ruben Gonzalez the honor of being awarded National Coach of the Year twice in a row, as the women’s soccer team was also honored in a Board of Trustees meeting Wednesday, Jan. 22 at 6 p.m.

“It’s very humbling to receive an award like that,” Gonzalez said. “You are voted on by your peers in the west coast. Then whoever wins that vote, gets voted on by the national coaches.”

Along with Ruben, three players, sophomore Claudia Lopez, sophomore Alexis Carrillo and sophomore Alyssa Cabral followed their coach to receive awards of their own.

Lopez was awarded Most Valuable Player of the tournament and the NSCAA National Player of the Year.

Cabral was named second All-American, while Carrillo was named first All-American.

The win that brought this team so much media attention from news outlets like CNN, the Long Beach Register and La Opinion was achieved on an icy field in Sacramento on Dec. 8 last semester.

Now that it is spring’s sports to shine, the champion team has not stopped working according to Gonzalez.

“We have a class that meets here (Falcon stadium) twice a week on Tuesday and Thursday nights,” Gonzalez said. “We will start full board in March getting ready for the summer.”

Although practice routines are not as rigorous now as they were during pre-season, coach Gonzalez still wants his players fit.

Carrillo was stunned to hear that she was named first All-American, “It’s an honor to even be considered to receive it,” Carrillo said. “It’s all about the team. The team is the one that helped me receive it too. It’s them that I really owe it to.”

Forward striker Lopez no longer trains with the team, but the memories of such a well knitted team still linger on in her memory, “Even though I don’t practice with them anymore,” Lopez said. “I know that right now they (the players) would be preparing for the third title.”

Lopez’s next school to play at will be the University of Texas.

“Wow, I mean, you always dream of things like this,” Coach Gonzalez said. “It’s like a dream come true, and you continue to work hard because you know how good it feels to be on top of the hill and you want to maintain yourself there.”

Sebastian Echeverry, Editor in Chief
Hello all, my name is Sebastian Echeverry and I am the Editor-in-Chief for the fall 2015 semester. I have been working for the newspaper for four semesters now and slowly climbed the ranks from staff writer, to assistant sports editor, to sports editor, news/managing editor and finally the big cheese. My interest in journalism began when the twin towers fell on September 11 and the U.S. invaded Iraq. Global news coverage of airstrikes in Baghdad plagued the media and my father who served in the Colombian military would sit with me and explain what was going on to me. I was only eight years old at the time, so putting politics aside, I was only interested in how reporters on the front lines were seeing history unfold in front of them. Since then, I enjoyed reading and writing especially about global news. My first taste of research was for a high school paper about the militias still active in the U.S. I remember sipping some brew outside on the Coffee Bean's patio and being swallowed up by data, and liking it. I Currently have a part time job at Calvin Klein, my favorite sport is soccer and I love, Barcelona, Chelsea and Borussia Dortmund. I also enjoy watching hockey and my favorite team there is the Detroit Red Wings, yeah weird I know. I'm an easy person to approach and talk to and if you have story ideas let's get cracking on them! my email is: [email protected] My Twitter is: C_bass581141 My Instagram is: onlyc_bass5 and for giggles my snapchat is: onlyc_bass5