Woes continue for women’s water polo with loss to Chaffey

The Cerritos College women’s water polo team suffered yet another loss, as it lost its conference opener, suffering a setback toward its race for the South Coast Conference title this year.

The Falcons suffered a 12-4 loss defeat to the Chaffey Panthers on Wednesday, Sept. 17. The team is now 0-5 to start the season.

After playing at the American River Tournament at Sacramento over the weekend, the women’s water polo team resonated hope before its game against Chaffey.

“This weekend showed a lot in our team,” Breanna Zuniga, center, said. “I can see us being up there.”

But the loss from Chaffey showed some open wounds that are in need to be patched up.

The Falcons started off rocky by conceding four goals in the first quarter and only scoring one. Things seemed to get worse during the second quarter by losing the sprint to Chaffeys utility, Ruby Zarate.

The Falcons also drew three turnovers within two minutes of the game.

Goalie Kristin Park was able to prevent some of the scoring opportunities by blocking two shot attempts; but Chaffey’s, Erika Obdam, was able to shoot one through Park at the 4:55 mark, scoring the only goal for the quarter.

Cerritos only made 2 shot attempts.

Carla Harvey, the captain and attacker, said, “We weren’t communicating, none of us were in the right mindset, we were playing individually and not as a team.”

Things only seemed to get worse over the second half, as the scoring buzzer was set off more than usual.

The second half started off with Harvey winning the sprint to start the third quarter, but as fouls and turnovers continued to plague the Falcons, it conceded a goal when Chaffey’s Selena Zapata, scored one on Park.

Cerritos was soon able to answer back as Harvey scorched one past Chaffey.

The Panthers retaliated with one of their own, but the Falcons were able to keep a high pressure and score the final goal in the quarter. The quarter ended 7-3 in Chaffey’s favor.

Chaffey took advantage of Cerritos by pressuring it high, dispossession and fouls, resulting in five goals conceded throughout the quarters.

Goals were from Chaffey’s Grace Hollingsworth, Ruby Zarate and Taylor Zipson.

A last minute consolation goal was given to Cerritos after Harvey went through lazy defense from The Panthers, but it was too late.

Head coach Sergio Macias shared a few thoughts on the loss as well.

“It starts from the top. There was no leadership. That game, we didn’t come out with the urgency and intensity we needed in order to be competitive in that game, and, in a result, we suffered a bad loss.”

The team faces a four-game tournament at Chaffey over the weekend.

Coach Macias said changes need to be done to succeed in the tournament.

We have no choice but to get better. This was a bad loss from us, we have four games this weekend, hopefully we can bounce back from that.”

Sebastian Aguayo, Staff Writer
Fall 2014 Hi my name is Sebastian Aguayo and I'm entering my third semester at cerritos college. I was undecided about my major when I first entered the school, but as time progress and as I took the time to try a few things out I realize Journalism is the major for me. In high school I've been involved in sports and activities such as pole vault, soccer, band, tutoring, and link crew. I'm a huge sports huge junkie that have huge love for the Lakers, Saints, and FC Barcelona. On my off time I enjoy hanging out with friends, cruising on my board, or dabbing with the guitar. This is my first time contributing in the school newspaper and I'm excited what the future has in store for me.