Volleyball snaps six-game win streak against El Camino

The women’s volleyball team snapped its six-game win streak by a final tally of 18-25, 20-25, 10-25 against visiting El Camino College on Oct. 29.

The Falcons (9-7, 6-2) opened the game matching the Warriors (16-2, 8-0) point-for-point through the first game.

It wasn’t until the second game where the Falcons came alive by going up 10-5 midway but lost momentum toward the end.

Assistant head coach Gay Brokenbough attributed the loss to the women losing momentum and confidence within one another.

“That’s how we did last time, we got cold faster the first time around. This time, (we) prolonged it a little longer and made it through two sets, and then they (the Warriors) just blew us up in the third set. They (the women) lost confidence,” Brokenbough said.

The loss keeps the Falcons in second place in the South Coast Conference but is now tied with Mt. San Antonio College (10-6, 6-2).

Outside Hitter and Middle Blocker Sara Hickman did not finish the third set as she re-aggravated a stomach injury suffered in practice.

“During practice, she attacked the ball and she felt something pop. She tried and (played well); two games and I guess that was all the gas she had left before the pain (started),” Head Coach Teresa Velasquez-Ortega said.

Though the Falcons played better this time around than the first time they faced El Camino, Velasquez-Ortega is ready to move on and firmly secure second place in the conference.

“We did a lot of things better than the first (game). That’s the important thing – to improve. We’re looking forward toward the next game so we can catch-up to second place, so that’s our goal right now,” Velasquez-Ortega said.

The Falcons face Pasadena City College (3-11, 3-4) in an away contest on Friday, Oct. 31, at 6 p.m.

Armando Jacobo, Online Editor
Spring 2015 My name is Armando Jacobo. I’ve been a part of Talon Marks for three straight semesters now and I enjoy every aspect of the hectic lifestyle that entails it. This is my first semester as online editor. I’m also a journalism major but I’m not entirely set what I want to do with it though. Maybe enter the sports realm or music industry…or just nothing.