DeRon Davis jumps for the rebound in the 113-93 loss to Team Rose, Davis would finish with eight points, seven rebounds, two assists and three blocks.
Armando Jacobo

Adidas Global Nations hosts championship game at Cerritos

Cerritos College partnered with Adidas Uprising Basketball to host its first-ever Adidas Global Nations championship game bringing in NBA and WNBA superstars on Aug. 3 in the Falcon Gymnasium.

The Adidas Global Nations consolation and championship rounds and featured top 18-and-under players from around the world, along with NBA and WNBA superstars: Derrick Rose, Damian Lillard, Kennith Faried, Marcus Smart, Steven Adams and Candace Parker watching in the crowd.

The venue also brought talent from around the world and divided them into nine teams: Team Africa, Canada, Asia Pacific, Latin America, Nations Select, USA 2016 Rose, USA 2016 Wall, USA 2017 Lillard and USA 2017 Noah; five international teams and four USA teams and over forty ESPN, ESPN60 and ESPN 25 players competing.

A second-half resurgence led by Kobi Simmons put the game out of reach as Class of 2016 Team Rose defeated Class of 2016 Team Wall 113- 93 in the Adidas Global Nations Championship game.

The game was broadcasted live on ESPNU and encompassed a makeover of the inside of the gymnasium that included long banners hanging from the rafters, Adidas advertising pasted on tables and stands as well as Adidas merchandise engulfing attendees.

Point guards shined as Simmons scored 19 points (9-18 FG), six assists and four rebounds in 24 minutes and led the second-half pull-way with a team shooting percentage of 57.8 percent FG and Lonzo Ball 4 points (2-5 FG), 12 rebounds, 8 assists with a steal and a block.

Team Rose propelled past Team Wall with a balanced bench distributing minutes equally, small forward Rawle Alkins led the potent bench with 24 points (9-16 FG), with 6-8 from the 3-point line within 20 minutes of the game.

With the recent renovations to the Falcon Gymnasium, Adidas event director Albert Hall explained that his choice for a host venue after declining to host at Long Beach City College was an easy one.

“It’s a new facility, it’s a beautiful facility. We just wanted a more intimate setting, we thought the new aesthetics were great for television and the atmosphere,” said Hall.

Camps and tournaments such as Adidas Global Nations brings awareness and a platform for young athletes to showcase their talents to scouts.

“Adidas has training camps all over the globe, we identify up incoming ball players, bring them in and Adidas nation is the only camp that brings in high school, college and (professional) players under one roof and it’s something we’ve been doing for nine years now and it keeps getting better,” said Hall.

“It’s big time, on average we have 15 players that come through Adidas nation that go into the draft.”

Oklahoma City Thunder Center Steven Adams described the importance of camps and competition.

“Ive been through this camp, I absolutely love what is going on, especially with being an international player the hardest thing to get is exposure. It’s a good chance for the international players to put their name out there and looked at by the scouts,” said Adams.

Men’s basketball head coach Russ May divulged on the opportunity that Cerritos College took advantage of in hosting the Adidas camp.

“It was such an honor for Cerritos College to host such a great event, to see some of the greatest players in the nation to play at Cerritos College, it’s a real treat to be able to do this for our community.”

Armando Jacobo
Armando Jacobo, Online Editor
Spring 2015 My name is Armando Jacobo. I’ve been a part of Talon Marks for three straight semesters now and I enjoy every aspect of the hectic lifestyle that entails it. This is my first semester as online editor. I’m also a journalism major but I’m not entirely set what I want to do with it though. Maybe enter the sports realm or music industry…or just nothing.