Volleyball sweep away LA Harbor Seahawks

Taylor Ogata
Kayley Stephens (#1) hits the ball over the block of Los Angeles Harbor’s Amber Ruiz (#6). Stephens had 10 kills and two blocks on the night. Photo credit: Taylor Ogata

Cerritos College defeats Los Angeles Harbor College in straight sets; win both matches in season series.

Last time the Cerritos College women’s volleyball team played Los Angeles Harbor College was on Friday, Oct. 9 at the Aviary, it came away with a sweep.

On Wednesday, Nov. 4 the Falcons had a rematch with the Seahawks, this time on their home court and the result was about the same as last time.

Cerritos took down LA Harbor by scores of 25-11, 25-23 and 25-13 behind 12 kills from Nicole Spigner, 10 digs from Jasmine Peralta and 29 assists from Natalie Caravantes to sweep the season series against the Seahawks.

The Falcons, however, almost blew the second set, but managed to regain its composure and close it out.

“[The women] were overconfident in themselves,” head coach Teresa Velazquez-Ortega said. “They had a hard time playing our game style, but they got it together and won.”

Middle blocker Kayley Stephens, who had 10 kills on the night, said, “In the second set, we almost blew it, but we came together and worked harder. On the attacks, I have to read the defense better and get to [the ball] faster.”

Outside hitter and middle blocker Leslie Larranaga, who had a pair of service aces in the match, said, “My serves are ‘floaters’. I jump and that’s what gets the ball to where I want it to go.

“Coach [Velazquez-Ortega] noticed all my hard work and that’s why she inserted me into the rotation,” she added.

Larranaga got inserted into the rotation because Rocio Rojo-Perez did not travel with the team due to undisclosed reasons.

Cerritos improved to 14-9 overall and 7-3 in South Coast Conference play with the victory.

The Falcons will be back in action at the Aviary on Friday, Nov. 6 at 6 p.m. against Pasadena City College.

Taylor Ogata
Taylor Ogata, Staff Writer
This is my second semester on Talon Marks as well as my second semester at Cerritos College. I am an avid ice hockey player but I like to play other sports too. I also like to visit amusement parks as I am a season pass holder at Knott's Berry Farm and an annual pass holder at Disneyland Resort. Plus, I like to exercise by running, skating, swimming, etc. as well as watch extreme wrestling (WWE) and professional ice hockey (NHL and minor leagues). I have a radio show on WPMD that you can listen to every Wednesday from 11 a.m. to noon. Twitter: @TOgata87 Instagram: itsasmallhockeyworldafterall Snapchat: frozendude714