Rekindling an age-old rivalry

Its safe to say its no love lost between the Cerritos Falcons and the Long Beach City Vikings. And on Saturday, Nov. 21, it will only come to a head as both teams will battle it out for a chance to move on in the state playoffs.

“We haven’t played them for a couple of years so there will be a rivalry but its not going to be like it was in the past, ” head coach Frank Mazzotta said.

There have been different theories as to why the two storied teams haven’t played in recent memory. Mazzotta gave his opinion on why he feels the pair haven’t squared off.

“They didn’t want to play us for the last couple of years,” Mazzotta explained. “And it really makes me mad because their coach (Brad Peabody) basically said we didn’t want to play them and that wasn’t the truth, but we’ll settle that when we play Saturday,” Mazzotta added.

Quarterback Jimmy Walker admitted this game is really big for the coaches as not too many of the players know each other aside from playing in high school.

“But I’m happy to be a part of a tradition and a legacy,” Walker said.

Mazzotta went on to say that the two teams will continue to play each other from this point on, even if it is only a preseason matchup.

There will be some familiar faces on the other side when the Falcons line up across from the Vikings.

Former Cerritos redshirt and grey shirt, Royce Moore and Darren Johnson, are now a defensive catalyst for the Long Beach defense.

“I was really disappointed when Royce left. Darren never really latched on with us,” Mazzotta said

However, Mazzotta did express some frustration about the way Moore left Cerritos.

“I don’t know why Royce left. I know we had a couple of [running] backs that year and basically he just didn’t want to stay here and compete,” said Mazzotta. “Which is funny because he went over there and played defense.”

“I didn’t like the way Royce left, it wasn’t very nice. The thing that I don’t like is they kind of recruited those kids over there,” Mazzotta said.

Offensive and defensive coordinators Dean Grosfeld and Tom Caines along with coach Mazzotta all have one response for Moore and anyone else who follows his footsteps.

“If you don’t want to be here don’t.”

In regards to Johnson, defensive tackle David Fangupo said, “The fact that he went to Long Beach means something right? He couldn’t play here so he had to go there, that’s all that means to me,” Fangupo said with a smile.

Fangupo is battling a left wrist and shoulder injury however, he made it clear that he will be in uniform on game day and he never once thought about not playing.

The defense will have it hands full with Vikings’ quarterback Jack Lowary who has thrown for almost 3,000 yards and 25 touchdowns.

“I don’t think you can ever stop an offense like that you just kind of slow them down,” Caines said.

“Our biggest goal would be to minimize big plays,” he added.

Cornerback Thadd Daniels who was matched up with College of the Canyons best receiver just one week earlier will have his hands full again with Long Beach City’s Mike Wilson, who has nearly 30 receptions more than the team’s second place receiver.

“I just try to come in healthy, play my game, study the film and go about it like I go about any receiver,” said Daniels.

“May the best man win,” he concluded.

No doubt this game will only get hotter the closer we get to kick off. It all happens at Falcon Stadium on Saturday at 7 p.m. as this rivalry is rekindled.

Terrel Emerson, Online Editor
Hello all, I am Terrel "Chatterbox" Emerson. I was the Online Editor for the 2016 Fall Semester. I am a sports buff. My work can be seen on terrelemerson.wordpress.com. Follow me on twitter @sir_chatterbox. Dodgersnation.com, check it out!