Jimmy Walker (#7) drops back to pass. Walker connected on eight of 23 passes for 134 yards and threw a touchdown as well as three interceptions on the night.
Taylor Ogata

Falcons stunned in final minutes as Vikings steal win

Both teams hit the other with its best shot and both teams continued to respond but ultimately It came down to seven seconds and five yards.

Quarterback Jimmy Walker lofted a Hail Mary into the end zone as time expired it was batted down by the Long Beach City defense and hauled in by wide receiver Devin Mosley, five yards short of the end zone.

Head coach Frank Mazzotta said “It was no different than what any other team runs. If our guy would’ve stayed on his feet he could’ve ran in for the touchdown.”

Walker was not himself during the game, completing only 8 of his 23 pass attempts while throwing for 134 yards a touchdown and three interceptions.

Walker said about the final drive of the game, “That’s on me. I called the play at the line. Coach gives me the option and I did what I was coached to do.”

He added, “Tonight just wasn’t our night.”

Mazzotta said, “We tried to get in position a bit to get the Hail Mary. We got a good 20-yard run out of it but I don’t really have an answer for that.”

Offensive coordinator Dean Grosfeld could not be reached for comment following the loss.

Cerritos took a 21-10 lead into halftime with the home crowd on its side. The crowd only get louder as the Falcons forced a safety just five minutes into the second half.

From that point on, Long Beach City reeled off 17 unanswered points to put Cerritos down for the first time in the game.

Prior to the game, defensive tackle David Fangupo believed 2012 grey shirt Darren Johnson left Cerritos because he couldn’t play for the Falcons.

The Vikings running back Darren Johnson responded with a huge night on the ground. He rushed for 123 yards on 22 carries and a touchdown.

Last week Thadd Daniels was matched up with Nicholas Jones, the no.1 receiver from College of the Canyons. This week, the task only got tougher as Mike Wilson was the primary focus for Daniels and company.

In the fourth quarter on a third and 28, Daniels was beat down the sideline by Wilson and it would ultimately set up the game winning score for the Vikings.

“Our kid just got beat, he’s the no.1 receiver in the state. We left our guy one-on-one by himself and he got beat,” Mazzotta said.

Wilson ended the game with nine receptions for 197 yards and a touchdown.

Defensive back Anthony Murray commented on the defense, “We shot ourselves in the foot tonight. I cost us a touchdown. We couldn’t have done a better job tonight matchup wise and coaching wise. But sometimes the best isn’t enough.”

After the defeat, Falcon fans will have to wait until next season to see how the team responds.

Mazzotta said,“We have a lot of young guys and we’re losing a lot of good football players but we just have to go out and do some recruiting to replace those guys,

“We’ll be fine.”

Terrel Emerson
Terrel Emerson, Online Editor
Hello all, I am Terrel "Chatterbox" Emerson. I was the Online Editor for the 2016 Fall Semester. I am a sports buff. My work can be seen on terrelemerson.wordpress.com. Follow me on twitter @sir_chatterbox. Dodgersnation.com, check it out!
Armando Jacobo
Armando Jacobo, Online Editor
Spring 2015 My name is Armando Jacobo. I’ve been a part of Talon Marks for three straight semesters now and I enjoy every aspect of the hectic lifestyle that entails it. This is my first semester as online editor. I’m also a journalism major but I’m not entirely set what I want to do with it though. Maybe enter the sports realm or music industry…or just nothing.
Taylor Ogata
Taylor Ogata, Staff Writer
This is my second semester on Talon Marks as well as my second semester at Cerritos College. I am an avid ice hockey player but I like to play other sports too. I also like to visit amusement parks as I am a season pass holder at Knott's Berry Farm and an annual pass holder at Disneyland Resort. Plus, I like to exercise by running, skating, swimming, etc. as well as watch extreme wrestling (WWE) and professional ice hockey (NHL and minor leagues). I have a radio show on WPMD that you can listen to every Wednesday from 11 a.m. to noon. Twitter: @TOgata87 Instagram: itsasmallhockeyworldafterall Snapchat: frozendude714