Women’s tennis dominates against Bakersfield

Toni Reveles
Valentina Polonyi serving for her match on January 26. Polonyi later went on to win her match.

The women’s tennis team dominated the Tuesday, Jan. 26 match against Bakersfield.

All of their matches were won by two sets, none of the women or doubles dropped a set.

“First match jitters, it’s expected every year the women have them,” said head coach Alvin Kim.

In the wake of his team’s performance Kim said, “I know we could do a lot better than how we played today.”

In doubles, sophomores Taylor Heath and Anastasia Khomyachenko partnered together and took care of the opposition.

Kim expressed, “The sophomores were flawless today, they picked up were they left off and we hope they have the same momentum going into their next match.”

Following her doubles match Heath said, “It was fun, we tried very hard, they other team was pretty good but we practiced a lot we knew better strategies to over come them.”

In singles as the women glided past Bakersfield Heath and Freshmen Valentina Polonyi were among the standouts of the day.

Heath seemed to be getting a little frustrated during her match because her and her opponent’s game almost seemed to be identical.

“When I hit the ball I expect every ball to be in, sometimes it goes out and I get a little angry,” said Heath about her frustration during the match.

“I think I did pretty well, I could actually see my game improving, the woman I played today was really good she hit hard fast paced balls, which is the type of play I like to do, so our games kind of melted together, but she had a little more unforced errors than I did,” she said.

Polonyi, who played in her first match at Cerritos said she felt nervous.

“I was a little nervous I don’t know why but it was a good beginning so I think the rest of the season should be good,” she said.

Next up the women’s team will play Glendale, Thursday, Jan. 28, who they have history with.

“We lost to Glendale twice last season, once in the playoffs and both were close games, I wish I could be there but we have to be confident in our assistant so I’m going to leave it up to her,” Kim expressed.

He will not be traveling with the team because the men’s tennis team will be playing at home the same day.

Toni Reveles
Toni Reveles, Staff Writer
Hey my name is Toni Reveles, I'm 22 years old and I'm a journalism major. I love to write, my main passion to write about is sports and music. I love Basketball (Lakers) and Football (Raiders). I hope to be the next Erin Andrews and work for a television or radio station that covers sports and music. Hopefully you readers enjoy my stories!