Softball looking to regroup after first loss of season

After suffering a difficult 4-2 loss to Palomar Saturday, January 30, the softball team looks to regroup against Citrus on Wednesday, Feb 3.

Sophomore Jenny Collazo feels the loss will only motivate the team.

“I think that after this loss against Palomar, we’re hungry, we have a goal and we are focused so I think we are going to come into this next game ready to get after it,” she said.

Collazo, who was the hero of the Friday, Jan. 29 game according to her teammates, knocked in the game winning runs with a late sixth inning grand slam.

“We have a goal and we are focused so I think we are going to come into this next game ready to get after it,” she added.

Collazo has a batting average of .444 with an .571 on base percentage, only three games into the season.

Third baseman/pitcher Jenny Navarro feels more optimistic than anything else after suffering the first loss of the early season.

“We learned from our mistakes and will show up and be ready to play on Wednesday,” she said.

She has an earned run average of 4.74 and has allowed one home run so far this season.

Navarro is still assured that everybody on the team is still on track to reach the ultimate goal. The goal is to win the conference title.

“It was a disappointment, but that’s not going to stop us from continuing to work hard everyday at practice and to have a successful year,” she added.

She also has a slugging percentage of .889 and is looking to improve her percentage from the previous season which was .514.

“I’ve been struggling since fall of last year. I haven’t been working on my hitting since I’ve been focusing on pitching so I cut down on my hitting,” she said.

The women have a 2-1 record to start the year and are batting .376 with five home runs this season.

The Falcons are looking to get back on track and not let this loss change the direction of the season.

Collazo offered her final analysis prior to the game against Citrus.

“We just need to get back to playing Cerritos softball again and we will be fine,” she said.

Toni Reveles, Staff Writer
Hey my name is Toni Reveles, I'm 22 years old and I'm a journalism major. I love to write, my main passion to write about is sports and music. I love Basketball (Lakers) and Football (Raiders). I hope to be the next Erin Andrews and work for a television or radio station that covers sports and music. Hopefully you readers enjoy my stories!