The winning continues for women’s softball

The Cerritos College softball team continues to win after its game against Fullerton ended with a final score of 5-3.

Freshman Kimberly Olivas, “It would not have been possible if we didn’t do our assignments to make sure that our team would be successful and we were because we all wanted the same thing.”

The game got off to a slow start where pitcher Kristen Voller, who pitched for four innings, allowed seven hits and three runs.

Lead off batter Jenny Collazo was the first run for Cerritos in the fifth inning when Olivas doubled for an RBI.

Collazo said, “As a lead off hitter, it’s my job to get on base. Everyone on my team can hit so every time I’m on base, I trust and I have faith that my team will get the job done and bring me home, it’s always good to know that I can trust the person behind me to bring me in,”

Olivas said that her RBI was exciting, “Honestly it was very exciting, during my bat I was just looking for my pitch in order to move [Collazo] over and she ended up scoring.”

Cerritos scored one more time in the fifth inning thanks to Sophomore Mackenzie Kutzke.

Down 3-2 Cerritos came up in the seventh inning with one thing on its mind and that was to score.

Collazo and Olivas were both walked and with two outs Sophomore Jezeree Misaalefua singled to score Collazo to tie the game.

Freshman Kylee Brown singled to score Olivas for the leading run.

“As soon as my teammate hit the ball I knew I had a chance in scoring, when I scored I felt positive, thrilling energy, and cheers that were coming from the dugout, because it put us in the lead once again,” Olivas added.

With this road win, it brings Cerritos’ road record to 2-2.

“People may think that being on the road makes it harder for teams to win but with us, we just focus on our philosophy and we work hard to approach every game the same way that we would if we were playing on our own field,” Collazo said of their road record.

The women will play Cypress on Thursday, Feb. 11.

“It’s game day! Everyone looks forward to game day, most of all I’m looking forward to playing another game next to and with my sisters,” said Collazo.

Toni Reveles
Toni Reveles, Staff Writer
Hey my name is Toni Reveles, I'm 22 years old and I'm a journalism major. I love to write, my main passion to write about is sports and music. I love Basketball (Lakers) and Football (Raiders). I hope to be the next Erin Andrews and work for a television or radio station that covers sports and music. Hopefully you readers enjoy my stories!