Bounce back for the women’s tennis team

After suffering their first loss to Whittier College, 6-3, the women were looking for a way to bounce back.

The next opponent happened to be the state champions from Mt. San Antonio and Cerritos won 7-2.

“We kind of focused on doubles, we did lose our one spot, but won our two and three and against defending state champs I think we did a good job,” head coach Alvin Kim said.

Taylor Heath, who is ranked in the top spot for Cerritos did not have a winning day at Whittier but came out strong against the state champion’s number one player, Connie Aranguiz.

“I felt good, I felt that all of my hard work was paying off,” said Heath about her win over Aranguiz.

Kim expressed, “Taylor did fantastic because Connie Aranguiz from Mt. San Antonio is a quality player she is number one on a state champ team and for her to just not barely beat her but she crumbled her probably the biggest match of her college career at this point and we’re hoping to ride that into through conference.

“Currently Taylor being the girl that beat the second best girl, she’s at the top.”

Another player who has gone undefeated this year Freshman Danielle Pastor said of her match, “I felt I did pretty good, the girl I played was challenging because playing number six, there is not a lot of competition, but with her this team was a lot more stronger and had more competition.”

Next up for Cerritos is El Camino and it will be ready for the competition.

Kim said, “They’re always a good team, I think were slightly favored over them so we’re going to work on some more doubles stuff and still go some way to go […] a lot of good teams in the south coast probably the hardest conference in California, I have not won a conference as a women’s head coach yet so that really is my priority and I told the girls that.”

Heath is out looking for revenge against El Camino, “Their number one beat me in the preseason tournament but I’ve been training very hard since then so I’m looking for to the match.”

Cerritos plays El Camino Thursday, February 25.

Toni Reveles, Staff Writer
Hey my name is Toni Reveles, I'm 22 years old and I'm a journalism major. I love to write, my main passion to write about is sports and music. I love Basketball (Lakers) and Football (Raiders). I hope to be the next Erin Andrews and work for a television or radio station that covers sports and music. Hopefully you readers enjoy my stories!