Falcons baseball flies to a series win over Huskies

What’s the difference between a flock of falcons and a pack of huskies? Huskies can run fast, but falcons can fly.

That was the case for the Cerritos College baseball team in its three-game series against East Los Angeles as it won the first two games before losing the third.

In game one on Tuesday, Mar. 26, the Falcons got off to a slow start giving up two runs in the bottom of the first.

However, Gary James walked to start the top of the second, and after advancing to second on a ground out by Daniel Lopez, he was knocked in on a double by Derrick Edwards.

Edwards, who had a total of six RBIs in the series, said, “It’s really easy for me when my teammates get on base. I am a good hitter and I have driven in a lot of runs so far this season.”

Four innings later, Fermin Beza lined a double into the left-field corner to score Mark Pena.

An error by Husky shortstop Steve Romo off the bat of Mike Heenan put Cerritos in the lead to stay.

Game two at Kincaid Field on Thursday, Mar. 31 was another blow out.

It was the first time the Falcons scored more than 10 runs since Mar. 17 at Mt. San Antonio.

The Falcons racked up 15 hits, including five doubles and a triple.

Jonathan Marriott pitched six strong innings and did not allow a hit until the top of the seventh inning.

With Cerritos already having won the series, both teams convened back in East LA on Saturday; the Huskies were trying to salvage the final game of the series and the Falcons were going for the sweep.

East LA put four runs on the board right away and had a 5-0 lead going into the sixth inning.

Heenan would then get Cerritos on the board with a sacrifice fly to score Kenton McDonald.

The Huskies did make it 6-1 on an error in the bottom of the seventh, but Edwards got another run back with an RBI ground out in the top of the ninth.

That was all the Falcons got however, as East LA took the final game of the series 6-2.

“It feels good to win the series, but we should have had the sweep,” McDonald, who had three hits in the series, said. “We played better than [East LA] and we just took this game lightly.”

After the series, Cerritos is now 14-10 overall and 6-3 in South Coast Conference action.

The Falcons will play three games against Pasadena City College starting on Tuesday, April 5 at 2:30 p.m.

Taylor Ogata
Taylor Ogata, Staff Writer
This is my second semester on Talon Marks as well as my second semester at Cerritos College. I am an avid ice hockey player but I like to play other sports too. I also like to visit amusement parks as I am a season pass holder at Knott's Berry Farm and an annual pass holder at Disneyland Resort. Plus, I like to exercise by running, skating, swimming, etc. as well as watch extreme wrestling (WWE) and professional ice hockey (NHL and minor leagues). I have a radio show on WPMD that you can listen to every Wednesday from 11 a.m. to noon. Twitter: @TOgata87 Instagram: itsasmallhockeyworldafterall Snapchat: frozendude714