Men’s tennis look to avenge last season

The Falcons are looking to build on their success from the previous season and compete for the state championship.

The men’s tennis team consists of 13 total members, only three of which are returners from last season.

The team also consists of nine international players who will be looking to impact the team by winning championships.

Second year player Nikita Katsnelson said, “My goal for this season is to achieve as many championships as possible and try to win the state championship.”

Second year player Henry Ayesgia said, “My goal for this semester is to perform to the best of my ability and to win the state championship for the first time, that’s something that we are working toward really hard and hopefully that can come true.”

Head Coach Alving Kim shares his players mentality

“Last year unlike the women’s we didn’t win the state, we didn’t have any individual champions either, the goal is to try to get as many of those as possible, [goal] number two is the state [championship], our goal is to be number one, that’s our intent.” he said.

Last season the Falcons enjoyed great success as a team finishing with a 24-4 overall record and going undefeated at 8-0 in conference.

Although the team did not win any individual championship, players returning from last season did enjoy success last season.

Returning player Aleks Trifunovic reached the round of 16 at the CCCAA state championship in singles.

Katsnelson, teamed with Sasha Krasnov to win the ITA regional doubles championship in the off-season, the duo teamed to reach the semifinals of the CCCAA state championship.

Katsnelson also reached the quarterfinals in singles play, he lost to teammate and partner Krasnov in the singles championship of the South Coast conference tournament.

First year assistant coach Jon Neri is excited about the opportunity of working with the team this year.

“Our goal is to try to win the state, we came really close last year from what I heard, hopefully we can help this guys on areas that they need to work on technically and tactically,” he said.

The Falcons finished last season with a loss to Irvine Valley in the Southern California Regional Playoffs.

Not only are players and coaches alike competing for the state championship, but players on the team are looking to improve their individual skill.

Freshman Kwangeun Lee said, “My goal in particular is to perfect my technique on my back hand and on my returns, not a lot on achievements goals at this moment, but I just want to sharpen my skills.”

Cerritos will begin their season against Cal Lutheran University Saturday but won’t play a conference opponent until Feb. 28 against Mt. San Antonio.

Lizette Sainz
Lizette Sainz, Staff Writer
My name is Lizette Sainz, I'm a current student at Cerritos College, my plan is to transfer this Fall Semester to USC or CSUF to obtain my Journalism (BA). I want to work and enjoy my career sometime soon for the news channel and for the WWE World Wrestling Entertainment as a reporter. I would like to come back to Cerritos college and finished my classes to obtain my Anthropology A.A. and Administration of Justice A.A. As a hobby, I'm at the gym three times a week an hour with my personal trainer. Currently I have no life, with school and work there’re not enough hours in a day.