Falcons lose big to out of state school

Freshman Petra Such swings at a ball during the women’s matches with McPherson College. The Falcons won only one singles match the entire day. Photo credit: David Jenkins

With a day’s worth of matches from the Falcon’s women’s tennis team, only one player came out victorious, Mona Navalta.

Facing McPherson Kansas University, the Falcons had a hard time in the tennis court, with all three double teams losing and taking one out of the seven single matches.

Navalta said, “I started of the day really stressful and I didn’t expect to win.”

She continued: “Coach had already said that it was going to be a tough match for us, we really need some tough matches because the conference game we’ve been having has been easy […] three different schools that we’ve faced didn’t have enough members on the team. Those [matches] we’ve been playing so far, they haven’t been tough matches. So, we really need these types of matches.”

Out of the three sets Navalta was able to beat Madison Hoffman in two of them, the other players weren’t so lucky with their outcome.

Petra Such, Diviana Bravo, Danielle Pastor, Elizabeth Aceves and Mary Navalta all came up short against Kansas University.

Elizabeth Aceves said,“I know I took a lost, but honestly, I’m proud with the way I played”

She would get the upper hand in the beginning of the match but toward the end she would end up losing it. Her shins is something that takes a toll on her during the games she explained, but emphasized that was not to blame for the lost.

“Yesterday I was trying a new hand grip and that affected me today, my forearm is sore and I felt like I didn’t have the right grip. So, I made a lot of mistakes on my own,” Aceves said.

Although this was a tough day for the Falcons they’re still not out of the game. They have their next game at El Camino on Tuesday, March 28, and on April 6-7 they’ll play in the South Coast Conference Tournament.

David Jenkins
David Jenkins, Editor in Chief