Softball races to postseason

Sophomore infielder Kylee Brown fires a ball to first base for an out during the Falcons game with LA Harbor earlier this season. Brown has started at first base, second base and shortstop throughout the entire season. Photo credit: Max Perez

In the past eight games the Falcons softball team has hit 64 RBIs to help claim second place in the South Coast Conference.

The Falcons have a 7-1 record over the past eight games, two of which were conference games.

Now with three games left in the season, the team is 6-3, second in the conference behind 9-0 El Camino.

The only loss during the eight-game span was to El Camino 8-2.

In the final three games of the season, Cerritos will host EC-Compton Thursday, Santiago Canyon on Saturday and El Camino Tuesday in the season’s final game.

Outfielder Ashley Melendez said, “Everyone likes a home game, it brings more confidence to the team.”

In a previous match up with El Camino on March 21, the Falcons fell behind 7-0 in the first three innings before the game was postponed due to rain. The game will be concluded immediately before the final game of the season.

The team began its stretch of games with five wins in a row.

Head coach Kodee Murray said, “We’re playing more like a team. It becomes about the whole instead of the individual.”

The Falcons beat East Los Angeles, Fullerton, College of the Canyons, Riverside and EC-Compton. Cerritos outscored its opponents 43-13 during those five games.

The team then ran into El Camino, who only allowed the Falcons to score two runs, the fewest since March 25 against Grossmont.

Despite the struggles against El Camino this season, the team denies any change in mentality.

Melendez said, “We all think about [revenge] but when it comes down to game time you just have to play, you can’t control the outcome.”

After the loss the team had five days before its next game against LA Harbor April 11, where the Falcons would score the most runs they have all season with 21.

The Falcons totaled 22 hits, led by infielder Kylee Brown’s three hits, two home runs and seven RBIs.

Two days later, the Falcons would match up against rivals Long Beach City.

The team would get revenge, beating the Vikings 5-1 after losing to the team March 28, 14-13.

After the final three games of the season the Falcons will await their playoff seeding.

The seeding selection will be April 29.

Murray said, “We’d like to be seeded one through eight because that gives us a berth in the first round, this is a resilient team, whatever the cards are we’re playing.”

The Falcons traveled to Cypress College Tuesday, where they were shut out by No. 1 ranked Chargers 6-0.

Cerritos will host fourth place EC-Compton Thursday.

Max Perez
Max Perez, Sports Editor
My name is Max Perez and I am a 19 year old student in my second year at Cerritos College. I am currently in my second semester as a member of the school newspaper, and this semester I am the Sports Editor. I chose to write about sports because it is my only interests, so a job where I only have to go to watch sports and then write about them is perfect. Im still not close to being an expert but i enjoy it so im going to keep at it.