Falcons missed opportunity to go overtime at the Homecoming game

No. 24 running back, Roderick Ashford, Jr rushing passed the 20-yard line. Ashford was injured during the game. Photo credit: Scarled Murillo

The Falcons’ football team lost the Cerritos College Homecoming game to Bakersfield with the final score of 24-17.

On Oct. 21 the Falcons were neck and neck with Bakersfield nearly the entire game.

By the end of the first half, Falcons were up by one point, 10-9.

In the third quarter, Falcons scored a six-point touchdown and made the extra-point field goal, making the score 17-9.

Bakersfield was able to come back with a touchdown of their own and completed the two-point conversion.

The third quarter ended with a tie of 17-17.

It was in the fourth quarter where Falcons began to struggle not scoring at all, allowing Bakersfield to score a touchdown and getting the extra-point kick.

With the Falcons down 24-17, they had an opportunity to tie the game and go into overtime.

With a few seconds remaining in the game, the Falcons were at first and goal.

No.11 quarterback Isiah Bravo had four attempts to go for a complete pass but failed ever time, therefore, ending the game with a loss for the Falcons.

“We didn’t take advantage of a lot situations […] and I take the blame on this one,” Bravo said.

He gave credit to defense which he said “played well the entire game.”

Head Coach Frank Mazzotta was not pleased with the performance of his two quarterbacks that night.

“When you have two quarterbacks, you really don’t have one. I can surely say offensively we didn’t get it done.

“I mean you’re on the 1-yard line and you don’t put it in, of course that’s on the quarterback. Our two quarterbacks are freshmen, I just want to say that they just don’t get it. I don’t know how to explain it,” Mazzotta said.

Running back No. 24 Roderick Ashford, Jr’s leg injury also hindered the team’s offense.

It has yet to be announced whether he’s out for the season or not.

No.24 Roderick Ashford Jr's shortly after his leg injury
No.24 Roderick Ahford and two kinesiologists at the homecoming game. It is still to be announced weather his out for the season or not. Photo credit: Benjamin Garcia

Falcons next game will be a conference game against College of the Canyons, whose overall standing is 5-2.

This will be an away game on Oct. 28. Kick-off will be at 6 p.m.

David Jenkins
David Jenkins, Editor in Chief