Falcons defeated against the Vikings

The Cerritos Baseball team obtained its 23rd loss against Long Beach City College 11-1 on April 11. This is their 14th defeat of the conference championship.

The Vikings scored in the top of the first inning, first baseman No. 27 Zach Rivas reached on a fielder’s choice; infielder No. 10 Travis Aversa out at second shortstop to second base; infielder No. 3 Raul Gonzalez scored.

Long Beach City College added to their lead after a solo homerun from First baseman No. 9 Mark Stanford led Rivas to score giving the Vikings a 3-0 lead.

In the top of the second inning, the Vikings scored another run thanks to another solo homerun from infielder No. 22 Chris Rubottom to make it 4-0 Long Beach City College.

Facing starting pitcher Garrett Rennie, Cerritos got a second inning single from sophomore catcher No. 33 Andre Alvarez, but that would be it through the first six innings.

In the fourth inning, outfielder No. 11 Carter White grounded out to pitcher and catcher No. 30 Robert Barham scored to extend the Vikings lead 5-0.

Gonzalez singled to right field advancing to second base after an error, and outfielder No. 20 Andrew Schmitt scored for the sixth run of the game.

In the top of the fifth inning, Barham homered to left field and Rivas scored the seventh run and his second of the match.

In the sixth inning, Rivas flew out to center field and Gonzalez scored his second run of the game to make the score 9-0 Long Beach City College.

In the seventh inning, the Vikings scored two runs. First, Schmitt doubled to left field and advanced to third base after an error. Stanford scored to extend the Vikings lead to 10-0.

The second run was thanks to White’s single to left field and Schmitt scored his second run and the 11th run for the Vikings.

The Falcons did get a run thanks to infielder No. 4 Trevor McInerney who grounded out the shortstop and first baseman No. 25 Michael Gonzalez scored for the 11-1 final score.

Freshman field players catcher No. 7 Gregory Navarro III and outfielder No. 17 Wyatt Hall each pitched an inning to close out the game and combined to give up just one hit.

Head Coach Albert Zamora, when asked on the team’s performance, said, “We didn’t play good baseball and Long Beach took care of business by scoring 11 runs.”

When questioned on the improvement of the team Zamora stated, “We need to improve on pitching and getting those outs early in the inning. We had three errors which were critical and Long Beach scored three of their 11 runs thanks to our mistakes.”

The Falcons previous three games: Cerritos 22-17 Compton (10 innings), Cerritos 2-6 Compton, Cerritos 9-13 Long Beach City.

The Falcons will travel to Long Beach City College on Saturday to take on the Vikings at 12 p.m.

Randy Tejeda
Randy Tejeda, Staff Writer
Randy Tejeda is a communications major at Cerritos College and co-sports editor for Talon Marks. He would love to become a play-by-play announcer for FOX Sports in the soccer department. In his free time, Randy enjoys listening to regional Mexican, rock en español, reggaeton and top 40 music.