Off the Field: Running it Back

Off the field is dedicated to all things sports, in whatever form they may take.

The National Football League is kicking off its 100th season with a celebration consisting of three programs; “Huddle for 100,” “NFL 100 Originals” and “NFL 100 Original Towns.”

“Huddle for 100,” a nationwide clean up initiative, encourages fans to donate 100 minutes of their time to picking up trash in their local area, in order to shape what their community will become in the next 100 years.

As an incentive, posting a photo of your efforts using your favorite team’s hashtag will boost their ranking against others, and will enter fans in the running for signed merchandise, NFL gear and a VIP super bowl experience.

“NFL 100 Originals” is a series of television programs featuring people from all walks of life, players and fans alike, who will tell their stories and share memories of the game’s history, highlights and pivotal moments.

Shows such as “Peyton’s Places,” featuring Peyton Manning, and “NFL 100 Greatest,” will look back at key moments, plays, and games from throughout the history of the NFL that shaped how future seasons would play out.

Other shows such as “NFL 100 Roundtables” and “NFL 100 Sessions” will shift their focus to the players, showcase group discussions about the state of the game, and current players meeting the idols they grew up watching.

“NFL 100 Original Towns” will see the league returning to their roots, providing football grants to youth and high school teams to better support those passionate about the game. This initiative will also see the 13 original towns that began the NFL integrated into the 2019 NFL draft.

Dayton, Ohio, the site of the first-ever NFL game, will be the recipient of a brand new turf field as the NFL recognizes the location upon which their league was first established.

Accompanying these three main events is the inclusion of sweepstakes and raffles featuring a host of prizes. Fans had the opportunity to win season tickets for 100 years, with the ability to pass these tickets down throughout future generations. Other prizes included workout sessions with NFL stars and meet-and-greet experiences.

These programs and events will run until February 2, 2020, when the 54th Super Bowl is played at Hard Rock Stadium in Miami, Florida.

The 100th season of the NFL will commence on Sept. 5, with the NFL kickoff game, featuring the Chicago Bears hosting the Green Bay Packers.

Edgar Mendoza
Edgar Mendoza, Staff Writer
Edgar Mendoza is the current staff writer for Talon Marks, having formerly held the positions of Managing and Community Editor. He is studying Journalism at 20 years of age, and hopes to one day attend USC Annenberg to study communications. He believes there’s a bright side to everything, and hopes to one day start a publication that features positive and uplifting news.