Men’s Basketball want to continue to their winning ways from last season

Down+the+Court%3A+sophomore+point+guard+Joshua+Belvin+dribbles+the+ball+to+the+basket+against+Santa+Monica+College.+The+Falcons+lost+71-61+on+Nov.+22%2C+2019+
Derrick Coleman
Down the Court: sophomore point guard Joshua Belvin dribbles the ball to the basket against Santa Monica College. The Falcons lost 71-61 on Nov. 22, 2019

The Cerritos College Men’s basketball team want to create a new winning look as they have practically a whole new roster to work with.

Winning and Cerritos College basketball have been synonymous with each other for some time.

A big part of the key to that consistency is head coach Russ May who is entering his 11th season at the helm. We got a chance to interview May who provides insight into the 2019-2020 squad.

When asked about the returners for this upcoming season, May said, “We have three returners Daelyn Bams, Jeremiah Galang and Jalen Washington.

May stated, “This year we have 10 players who have not played college basketball before. so we have a very inexperienced group that are great, hard-working kids and I expect them to get better as the season goes on.”

Following up a question on who he anticipated to be part of the stand out players from the Sophomore group, Coach May states, “Jacob Washington is a transfer from LA Harbor and he’s been incredible for us. He’s going to be the rock in which we build around.”

Jacob Washington, said “season first started as a struggle. It’s a bunch of new guys but all we needed to do was a find rhythm.”

This will be a challenging season for the Falcons, having to follow up last year’s team that finished with a 22-7 overall record.

The Falcons started off the 2019-2020 season with a 5-5 record and look to improve before the conference games get closer. They are currently on a three game winning streak.

When talking about the improvement behind the team’s struggles, May said, “I figured we would have some growing pains early as a people as players try to establish the roles and understand how to play and how we want them to play.”

“I didn’t anticipate having this many new guys, with guys transferring it put us in this position. But you know, hat’s the nature of Junior College basketball,” May stated.

May anticipated the early struggle based on the difficulty of their preseason schedule but expects the team to have a good chance by the time January arrives.

He understands for freshman the season can feel really long compared to their previous experiences, so it will take some time to adjust to.

The Cerritos College Men’s Basketball team will look to compete, win games and potentially earn some silverware this season.

Jonathan Gonzalez
Jonathan Gonzalez, Staff Writer
Jonathan Gonzalez is a staff writer for Talon Marks covering sports and entertainment. Jonathan major is journalism and wants to be a future broadcaster one day for the Los Angeles Dodgers. Jonathan is currently on the Water Polo team at Cerritos College.
Derrick Coleman
Derrick Coleman, Co-Multimedia Editor
Derrick Coleman is the Co-Multimedia Editor at Talon Marks. He was born in San Jose, Costa Rica, where he lived for 15 years before coming to the United States. His goal is to start his own photography business.