Pansa Llena: Versailles Cuban restaurant is Flan-tastico

Back to Article
Back to Article

Cuban restaurant Versailles offer traditional Cuban dishes to LA. The restaurant has many locations across the county offering locals a taste of Cuba.

TM Marilyn Parra

TM Marilyn Parra

TM Marilyn Parra

Marilyn Parra, Co-Online Editor

¡Hola Pansitas!

After hours of driving around LA to look for a restaurant that sells authentic Cuban food I happened to find myself on the busy street of Venice Boulevard. To my left was a huge banner that said “Versailles, Comida Cubana.”

The sign was definitley right from the food, staff and music Versailles is the place for authentic Cuban food. Walking in you are greeted by great Cuban music like son, salsa and rumba.

Versailles gives guest a warm welcome with its down-to-earth staff who are ready to assist you, they treat everyone like a friend by having a conversation with you and cracking a couple jokes.

Throughout the restaurant are pictures of Cuba’s history and the many celebrities who have attended this well-known restaurant.

With every meal you get a basket of fresh buttered bread. The smell is hard to resist, this restaurant has the most simple yet delicious bread ever.

Since this was my first time trying Cuban food I made sure to ask the waiter for the popular dishes.

I was recommended, ropa vieja, arroz con pollo and croquetas de jamon.

Croquetas de jamon are part of the appetizers. Similar to a traditional potato ball, a croqueta is fried breadcrumbs that are stuffed with ham and cheese. These were amazing, you’re served four which is just enough and the size is pleasing.

Ropa vieja in English is “old clothes,” the dish is a traditional Cuban meal that consist of shredded beef mixed in with a tomato wine sauce. It’s served with fried plantains and white rice.

This dish is truly satisfying with just the right portion size it can feed two people, unless you’re a pansita like me and prefer the plate to yourself.

If red meat is not your favorite go for the traditional arroz con pollo, in English, rice and chicken. It comes served in a big bowl with yellow rice and marinated chicken with the right amount of seasoning. On the side you are also served fried plantains and your choice of beans or more rice.

One thing I loved about the place was the versatlity, there was a mini bakery and bar inside the restaurant. Whether you’re looking to drop in for a quick bite, drink or meal this is the place to be.

If you have a sweet tooth Versailles also serves desserts like, flan, arroz con leche, tres leches cake and to top it off tropical milkshakes.

Before attending I heard about this place from multiple family members and friends. They were right when they said Versailles Cuban food is the best, this restaurant promises to make your pansa llena and corazón contento.

They have three locations, but the original restaurant is on Venice Boulevard in Culver City.

Marilyn Parra, Co-Online Editor

Marilyn Parra is a communications major at Cerritos College and is now the Co-Online/Social media editor at Talon Marks. Marilyn would love to work for...