Suspect of Alleged Bomb Threat at Cerritos College Identified

New safety resolutions to come
Jasmine Martinez
From left to right, President Jose Fierro, Board President Carmen Avalos and Board Vice President Marisa Perez discuss the newly passed resolution on adequate safety and security measures. The resolution was in response to the bomb threat made by Mohammad Sameem Yaqubi on September 3, 2019.

Following the alleged bomb threat made at Cerritos College on Sept. 3 that initiated an approximately two-hour lock down, the suspect was identified as 23-year-old Mohammad Sameem Yaqubi, a Long Beach resident, on Sept. 5.

Yaqubi is in custody for making a bomb threat, battery on a police officer and resisting arrest. According to the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department Inmate Information Center, his bail is set at $25,000 and is to appear at the Bellflower Courthouse on Sept. 6.

As a result of the bomb threat and shelter-in-place, the Board of Trustees unanimously passed Resolution No. 19-0904C “in support of adequate safety and security measures” on Sept. 4.

“Certainly, with so much violence taking place, I think it’s imperative that we, as a board, stand very firm in our commitment to student safety, staff safety and the community at large,” said Board President Carmen Avalos.

Martha Perez, journalism major, said, “[School threats are] the reality that we’re being forced and made to come to terms with.”

She also expressed concerns over the RAVE alerts that were not sent out until about 20 minutes after the initial announcement.

Thomas Gallivan, Cerritos College Campus Police Chief, said he realized the anxiety shelter-in-place situations bring to the students.

President Jose Fierro commended students and faculty who worked quickly to provide information to campus police and said he hopes the college won’t have to endure major threats ever again.

Fierro has been directed by the board to hire an independent, outside organization to “review established safety and security mechanisms and protocols” and report back to the board within six months.

The story is still developing in the case of Yaqubi.

Jasmine Martinez, Editor-in-Chief