Student Wins Big at Ratatouille Movie Night

SPB+provides+bags+of+popcorn+for+attendees.+Jan.+18+
Laura Bernal
SPB provides bags of popcorn for attendees. Jan. 18

Students and faculty were invited to enjoy a screening of Disney’s “Ratatouille” at a movie night event on Jan. 18.

The event was hosted by the Student Programming Board and took place in Falcon’s Square.

Students were given the opportunity to be entered into a raffle for two tickets to Disneyland by checking into the event on the Cerritos College App.

The winner of the Disneyland tickets was Alessandro Argueta, a sociology major.

Argueta said, “This is a miracle, it’s amazing. I’m surprised and extremely lucky that I participated and won tickets to Disney.”

Student waits in line for free churros Jan. 18 (Laura Bernal)

The event started at 5 p.m. and the first 100 attendees to arrive and check in were given a free meal from The Habit that included the choice of either a cheeseburger or veggie burger, fries, and a fountain drink. The event also had tables set up for snacks including candy, churros, and several types of popcorn.

The movie began at 5:30 and was projected onto the side of the Performing Arts Center. Students gathered in the grass area to enjoy the show.

Students were welcome to bring family and friends to the event. They were also encouraged to bring their own chairs, blankets, and water bottles. Some even got creative and brought their own inflatable mini pool to sit in.

Barbra Bispango, a business major and vice chair of SPB, said events like this are important because they show students that there are school programs that give back to them.

“We don’t want it to be just about coming to school and then coming back home. We want you to enjoy your time here at Cerritos. So by doing these events, you can make friends and we’re a community here so we want everybody to get to know each other,” she said.

Students laying down on a blanket to watch Disney’s Pixar Ratatouille (Laura Bernal)

Angie Vasquez, a studio arts major, expressed that she looks forward to more events because you don’t get a lot of opportunities to be with friends, especially in college.

Anaia Jackson, a psychology major, said, “It was very enjoyable. My favorite part was the free food.”

The SPB is a student-led group that provides opportunities like movie nights for the student body to enjoy.

Bispango said, “This is our first time doing a movie night. It’s a core event. We have one core event per semester and then special events which are smaller every other month.”

Applications to join the board are available online.

Laura Bernal
Laura Bernal, Staff Writer
Laura Bernal is a staff writer for Talon Marks covering arts & entertainment and news. In her free time, she enjoys reading, listening to music and attending concerts. She plans to transfer to Cal State Fullerton and work at an independent magazine.